Panasonic 52" DLP RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Tan, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Don Tan

Don Tan Auditioning

Has anyone seen the new Panasonic DLP rear projection set? I am looking to purchase a rear projection set that is no more than 17" to 18" deep and I want a set that has both a DVI interface and an XGA input for my PC. I am considering the Samsung 507 and this model but I haven't seen any reviews or discussions on the Panasonic. Can anyone help? Are there any other choices out there?

Thanks,

Don

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The optoma's 50" HD2 DLP isn't quite out yet, but that seems like it might be a workable choice.
    [​IMG]
    RD50: 90 lbs., 46.0" (w) x 35.5" (h) x 14.8" (d)
    Silicon Image DVDo 504 deinterlacer, Oplus scaler
    DVI, BNC RGB, Composite, S-Video, RF, VGA, YPbPr
    0.15 mm screen-pitch display
    Contrast: 1500:1 (typical)
    Brightness: 450 nits
    [​IMG]
    Anyhow, more info here:
    http://www.optomatv.com/
    No idea on how good it actually is, since the production model hasn't launched yet.

3. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

Have you seen the Samsung in person?!?!? Wow what a great set. I have a friend of mine who has one on order - as they were backordered in our local store (NOW Audio/Video). I was impressed with what I saw in the Samsung. Let me know if you come across a review of the DLP from panasonic. I think there is supposed to be a DLP-wave come this spring. I know Samsung's 65" DLP is due out then. I'm looking for a 55/57" inch tv, 65 is a bit too big, and 50" is a bit too small...

Best of luck.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Don:

I agree with David that the Samsung DLP looked great. It was just a bit pricey compared to the CRT based units though. I believe for the 50 inch model it was around $3,500. I am like you and I haven't seen the Panasonic yet. Circuit City is supposed to have some of them in their stores but none of the ones local to me have any of them. I would wait a couple of weeks and see what starts to show up and your local Best Buy and Circuit City. I am sure we will be seeing lots of new models coming out from all the majors this year as this seems to be the new "hot" item for them all to push.

Parker