Panasonic 500 Question...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ross_N, May 6, 2004.

1. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Hey All,

I'm in the process for shopping for a Panny PT-AE500U. Just by reading around the forums I can see that alot of you have the same unit. How much should I pay for the unit to get a good price?

FYI - I'm in the Toronto area.

Thanks for your input.

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

For whatever reason, prices in Canada are higher than the U.S. If you're buying from a U.S. retailer, pay no more than $1,900 or so shipped. I saw it advertised at onecall.com not long ago for ~$1,850. Have a look at avs for some great threads on this great projector. This thread is a must-read once you have the projector. Good luck.

3. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Thanks Brajesh,

That tweaks page looks very usefull, I just need the actual unit now, hehehehe.

Living in the states is great, you guys can buy everything online, no tax nothing. The problem is shipping to canada with the duty and all.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The SRP difference between this panasonic and the Sanyo Z2 is quite substantial in Canada. Both are priced around $2K USD in the US and the Sanyo is readily available from stores for $3k CDN while the Panasonic is $4K cdn. Cost on the Sanyo is around $2400 ... cost on the Panasonic is $3200 range.

If you want to forego the warranty ... then get it from the US. CC will hit you up for GST and PST ... and handling charges.

Regards

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Ross, this thread (again at avs) may help you. Others in the same boat as you found their own solutions. I agree it's unfair Canadians have to pay more for this thing.
    Well, we're supposed to pay tax afterwards when doing our taxes, but most people don't.

6. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Ross,

I have a quote from a shop in Quebec for the Panny 500 - about 3450 cdn plus shipping. Since you are in Ontario, no PST. Something to consider. As the posts in the AVS forum said, may be it is worth it to get it from the US - even if one has to pay the GST+pst+duty (15% + 6% duty). The only thing that sucks is the warranty issue - I am sure that Panasonic Canada will not honour any goods that were purchased in the US.

HoiT

7. Ross_N

Ross_N Extra

Thanks Hoit,

Well I have two options, I have lots of family in the States so thats no problem, I can ship it to them. Option #2 is to drive to niagara falls / buffalo and pick one up, since I am just over an hour from the boarder option #2 seems like a good idea.

I will do some digging through the online yellowpages and see if I can find a shop close to the boarder that sells it pretty cheap.

Thanks for the help all.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The least expensive route might be to buy online and have it shipped to your family in the US, then have them ship it to you and declare it as used. You could also ship it back to them or probably even directly to Panasonic US for any warranty work you might need. Search froogle for L500U and see if this scenario would be worth the hassle for the amount you save (Around $1900 + shipping).

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Shipping anything over the border, you must declare it as less than $40.00 USD. It doesn't matter if its used, a gift, a present from President Bush or a donation. If its over $40.00 (or $60.00 USD maybe?) it'll be taxed, and UPS will charge you an arm, a leg and your first born in brokerage fees. Amazingly, you will escape duties because "data-projectors" are recognized by Canada Customs and accepted under the free trade agreement and therefore exempt from duties. So there you save maybe $50 to $75 CDN at least.

10. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Chris,

You are absolutely right. One time, I ordered some car parts (~ 110 US$) from some place in the US. The shop actually declared the goods as a gift and a value of US$10 and shipped it via the Post Office. Well, Custom Canada actually opened the parcel and appraised it at US$ 80 and proceeded to charge me PST and GST on that amount, plus 5$ of handling fee.

By the way, free trade (thus duty free) ony applies to goods made in the US. Is the Panny made in the US?

HoiT

11. RalphJR

RalphJR Agent

How about if your relative borrowed your projector and took it to The Us and used it and like it and they are shipping it back to Canada, and they are ordering their own Projector. Then They figure its best just to ship it to you instead of driving back. Have them buy the projector at Visual Apex, or where ever. Just a thought.[​IMG]

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Free Trade only applies to goods made in the US, so yeah, anything made outside the US is charged duties. With the exception of the Japan made PT-L500 projectors because, since they are from the Panasonic USA Business Presentation division, they are considered a "data-projector" which makes them a computer display, and free from NAFTA ",made-in-japan" rules. Therefore, there are NO DUTIES on projectors marked "data-projector" when shipped. If you get charged, go to Canada Customs and they will give you your money back.

13. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Chris,

Thanks! Good to know.

HoiT

14. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Ross:

The other option is to buy one from Japan ( which I did ). The individual I dealt with is very honest and fair - he is a dealer in Tokyo and also offers a 3 year warranty.And the price has dropped around 150 U.S. since I bought mine. Granted, the projector would have to be shipped to Japan if anything went wrong but the shipping time is 4 days and he will pay for it. Shipping cost was 130.00 US but even with that the total cost incurred justified buying one from him. Also, you will pay no duty. If you can live with Japanese characters on the menu ( easy to interpet - he gives you a manual with translation ) everything else is english ( remote etc.) I looked at going through the U.S. but the overall cost and warranty hassle - as in not likely - made me look elsewhere. It is really a shame that it costs so much more here in Canada. I feel sorry for anyone who unknowingly buys one at a dealer here and is not making so much money that it is an afterthought - most of us have a difficult enough time parting with $2000.00 - which is why I went the DIY route when I made a ceiling mount and screen - thanks to all those individuals and their knowledge and help over at the AVS forum. If you are interested just email me for more info. at [email protected]

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hey Ross...you still there? I'm in no immediate rush to make a decision and kinda busy this week, but have you given our options much thought?