Panasonic 47x54 Calibration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MattD, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

I used my AVIA DVD calibration disk and the brightness setting needed to be set to 45 in order to be properly calibrated. Is this setting too high and will it cause damage in the long run?

Here are my settings:
    Color 23
    Tint 24
    Brightness 45
    Picture 22
    Sharpness 30
    Color Temp - Normal
    Natural Color - Off
    Video NR - Off
    VM - Off
    MPEG NR - Off

Any takers? Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Even with other members who own the same model, their results might be different; unit-to-unit variations are that prominent. And, without seeing the results, it's hard to give you an absolute "go for it" with these settings you list. On the other hand, they seem conservative (except for the "sharpness" setting, which looks a bit high, but who knows?).

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

High brightness won't harm the TV at all. Pump it up ... it only washes out the dark material.

Differences can be as different as combination lock numbers ... between locks. What works for one set will more than likely not be good for another.

Bear in mind that the colour filters used in conjunction with the colour bar patterns do not always give correct answers.

Regards

4. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. I guess it's time to save up for a ISF Calibration [​IMG].

Cheers.

5. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

To echo the thoughts of others, I have the 47x54,calibrated with Avia. The lighting in my home theater in my basement is controlled and my numbers are similar to yours, with the exception of brightness, which I have set to 35, and sharpness set to 0. I have mine in Cinema mode and cool temperature. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy! You have a really good tv!

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I have the 47x54 since June 04 and let me tell you that ISF out beats Avia hands down, no doubt, no questions ask. Avia is a good start, but the 47x54 really does shines after ISF Calibration. Its a beautiful set once you get it ISF'd.

I also used Avia prior to ISF and I thought that the picture was the best that I could get, but after ISF, the picture is perfect (or as perfect that you can get).

Avia does a good job, but if you want the best out of your Panny, go for ISF.

I will never regret the investment.

Here is my review hours after my ISF calibration.

The 47x54 is a great set with Avia, but even better after ISF.

If you guys have any questions, please ask.

7. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Tim Jin,

I see that you are in Orange County. Who performed your ISF calibration? Thanks for the info and your review.

Matt

EDIT: Okay I read the review and saw that Greg L did the calibration. [​IMG]

8. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Matt,

Call me by my first name. Thanksgoodness that my parents didn't named me "Jim" [​IMG].

As you read, I got my set calibrated by Gregg.

Picking a calibrator was the hardest part. There are local calibrators in our area, but no one was able to give me a straight answer at what they were going to do. They charged as much or more than Gregg.

Overall, the calibration brings balance to the picture. It a lot easier on the eyes. HD and DVD's looks the best.

Keep the thread posted if you find local calibrator.

"Tim"