Panasonic 47WX53 - Does it have Aspect Ratio Control in Progressive Mode?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andre Bijelic, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to trade a 42" Samsung for the Pansonic.

A must for me is that it have aspect ratio control in progressive scan mode. Also, does it have adjustable settings for each video input?

2. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the necessity of aspet ratio control in progressive mode? Is this an issue with HD broadcasts? Is this TV a 4:3 or 16:9 model, and does that have an effect?

Thanks, and sorry I can't answer your question: I don't even understand it!

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Most TV's lock out the ability to change display modes when using a progressive scan input.

Some people would rather chose the way they watch the movie.

Not very technical SORRY, but somebody more knowledgable should come along soon.

Brent

4. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

If the TV receives a 16:9 progressive image, it will be able to show it in 4:3 (squeezed to fit the ratio), zoom, or full. The TV can do a stretch on 4:3 interlaced material, but the internal line doubler in the TV will deinterlace the signal for you (not sure about 4:3 progressive as I can't recall running that type of signal since I've had the set, but I don't see why the TV wouldn't be able to stretch it as long as it's a true 4:3 image and not a 4:3 image embedded in a 16:9 signal). Worst comes to worst, you could always send 4:3 material through as interlaced and let the TV double it for you...

There are no display options for HD material. It will always be shown in full.

I think the TV has 3 or 4 video settings. Each is customizable and the video inputs will retain whichever setting you choose. Given that the TV has 7 inputs including the antenna, DVI, and the front jacks, this means that you will have to use at least one setting for multiple inputs (i.e., my STB and DVD player are both set to Normal, while my Dreamcast and Xbox are using Vivid and Cinema, respectively)

5. Andre Bijelic

Can the "movie," "cinema" etc. settings be customized - or are they fixed presets? Ideally, I'm looking for something that allows me to tweak the settings for each source.

Also, I'm still not quite clear on the aspect thing. So the set doesn't default to wide mode with progressive DVDs? It does allow you to watch 4:3 material in its proper ratio?

6. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

All video settings are customizable. The names are more for identification than anything else.

The TV can show any progressive image in 4:3, zoom, or full, regardless of the aspect ratio. The only limitation is that it cannot take a 16:9 progressive signal and apply the "just" mode to fill the screen on 4:3 material. But that's a function of the DVD player, not the TV or DVD itself and really has nothing to do with progressive vs. interlaced.

If the DVD player is set to output a 16:9 image, it will take all DVDs and output a 16:9 image (even for 4:3 material which are stretched horizontally to fit the aspect ratio) The TV can handle this by either horizontally resqueezing the 16:9 image to fit a 4:3 ratio (looks like a 4:3 TV except for the grey bars on the sides) or showing the 4:3 material stretched (with no "aspect correction") to fill the 16:9 screen exactly as output by the DVD player.

In short, you can watch 4:3 material in the proper aspect ratio, regardless of whether it's interlaced or progressive.

Are you sure that you're not confusing "progressive" (player or TV deinterlaces an interlaced image and shows all scan lines at once, rather than alternating) with "anamorphic" (Material natively encoded in a "widescreen" format. Non-anamorphic 16:9 material is usually called "letterboxed" - a 16:9 image embedded in a 4:3 signal with black bars at the top and bottom)

By definition, there's really no such thing as anamorphic 4:3 material.

7. Andre Bijelic

That's great, thanks. I bought a 42" Samsung which locks into wide mode when it's being fed a progressive scan image - regardess of whether the disc is anamorphic widescreen, standard 4:3 or letterboxed 4:3. I'm looking for a set to replace it and the Panasonic sounds like a good bet.