What's new

Panasonic 47WX49 Service Manual (1 Viewer)

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Too good to be true!! Does she have a sister?
laugh.gif

Watch out for what source material (as well as connected components) is being played on each set you look at also. A local dealer here likes to play an old DVD movie plugged into the worst DVD player on their cheapest set. Then on the Sony's they show Dinosaur via the Sony ES9000 DVD player. Then on the Elite they show a 1080i signal. They even use real cheap to very good cables on each system. They also do the same thing with speakers and receivers. It's a great marketing ploy and will probably more often than not get a novice to buy a more expensive set, but it's definitely NOT good customer service.
That's why I take my DVD player and a couple of select DVDs with me to sample televisions. If I'm sampling a new DVD player, I'll make sure that I can listen to it via the same reciever and speakers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAW! (in a Han Solo, I-just-escaped-the-Death-Star-voice)
My dealer called to let me know the set is in. I'm taking the day off of work tomorrow to see the set at the dealership, and pending final approval and payment, will hopefully have it delivered later that day.
I have just called Panny CS and ordered the service manual, which I hope will be here in time for the weekend. I will do some slight calibrations tomorrow night using AVIA.
Hey Brett, any chance you could scan a few relevant pages of the service manual and put it up on your site? If not, it's cool, mine should be here by Friday/Saturday. But I wanted to get a head start if possible!
wink.gif

------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Someone needs to scan the whole service manual into PDF. If I decide to buy the set I will do it.
Ryan
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Carlo,
I understand the comparison isn't fair price-wise, but my thoughts were that you paid quite a bit more for the "Elite" name and the better picture, factory-direct.
If, in fact, these sets can be calibrated (the one in the store hasn't been touched by a tech) to a better picture, there isn't a better choice on the market, IMO. The 4:3 Panasonic (last year's model) next to the 47 was a much cleaner picture....just reinforcing that a good calibrated set will look much better than the out of box performance.
My wife may like the look of the Elite better, but if I can buy close to the same performance for a third the price, it's a no brainer. The kicker is going to be whether or not Panasonic will be able to keep up with the demand on a set like this once the general public becomes educated to it's existance. It's $500 cheaper than the new Sony XBR450 at 32"! Once people see that other options (HD) are available, the Pannys should be cleaned out of EVERY store that sells them....this may also set a price war into effect, with the new lines on the way out this fall...just watch the prices continue to fall.
Anyway, the savings of the Panny vs. Pioneer Elite are enough for me to upgrade to seperates :) or the Nautilus line-up from B&W :) There's a lot one can do with $4k.
BTW, the gear used was a Panasonic DVD-1000 ($2500 PS unit?)
It was run to both the Elites and the Panny, so I'm sure the gear wasn't where the problem exists. They were very honest about the calibration...apparently they just lost their ISF guy and a new one is on his way to town, next week. This is a pretty cool deal. When you buy a TV from them, the price reflects ISF in-home calibration, delivery, and set-up.
Jeremy

Brett W

Agent
Sorry about the lack of scans peeps, I still cant get the bloody scanner working on XP
frown.gif

I am trying to get things typed as quick as I can.
Soz again folks, Brett

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
How big is it Brett? That sounds like a lot of typing. If you want to fax it to me I could PDF it very quickly. I should just order it I guess..but I'm still not sure if the 47WX49 is the TV for me.
Ryan
------------------

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing, how far is the front of the lenticular screen from the front most item on the TV. In some of the pictures it looks like the base may an inch in front of it.
Ryan
[Edited last by Ryan Pream on July 16, 2001 at 07:56 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I may have access to a scanner but the manual won't get to me until the end of the week or next week, at the latest.
I'm on pins and needles waiting for this set to arrive tomorrow! Tonight my girlfriend is helping me move my equipment to make room for this bad boy!
I'll post more when I get the set, maybe I'll resurrect that other thread about the PT-47 since it deals more directly with the set...we'll see.
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks