What's new

Panasonic 47WX49 Service Manual (1 Viewer)

Brett W

Agent
Well I got it in the mail yesterday, however I had to take care of the g/f as she had her wisdom teeth out - so that set me back.
So just started to take a peek. I got into the service mode alright (that was my first test - to make sure I could
wink.gif
) and then exited, as I have yet to really read up on the various settings and did not want to break anything. Upon exiting I did notice it had reset my picture settings *booo* good job I took note of them.
I am going to get back to it now, just wanted to let you all know that I shall take the manuals to work and scan them into and .pdf them for the masses :)
So until the next time folks, Brett

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Does the service mode have better then the 9 point convergence and can SVM be disabled? After the 64 point Toshiba convergence I can't imagine living with just 9 points.
Also are the A/V inputs inset so the set can be flat against the wall? The TV is already deeper then I am comfortable with...but since I've just scewed up my Toshiba I'm looking at anything.
Ryan
------------------

Brett W

Agent
I am still studying the manual, so can only really answer your question about the inputs for now. But I am going to go play with the set now, once I write ALL settings down.
Yes the set can fit snug against the wall, I shall try and do some ACII art now (not quite 1337
wink.gif
, but should do)
--
|.../
|...|

Brett W

Agent
UPDATE: I have been reading the manual, and have a couple of things to say about it.
There are numerous service type convergence screens, but no 64point convergence ala Toshiba, to quote the manual on this one "NOTE: Since convergence adjustment will not allows (yes this is exact, and not my bad typing
wink.gif
) to adjust every single cross section of the grid, it is very important to adjust, so that overall looks best".
Red Push, as JohnnyG has alluded to in a previous post there may be features within the menu that could help us here. I found a Red drive, along with a Blue drive too, that could well be the key to this issue.
I am still looking for SVM type settings to turn this 'feature' off. Go here for my service manual page that I am just starting.
EDIT: I have just seen a Digital Convergence setting, it's default is 00 (on) I will take a look to see of turning this to off does in fact disable SVM - could it be this easy?
- Brett

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Cuts and Drivers have nothing to do with "Red Push." Red Push is a colour decoder issue.
Cuts and drivers are used to set up the proper grayscale.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Brett W

Agent
Michael - Thanks for the information, this is a learning process for me, so thanks for posting.
I have been reading about your ISF endeavours and have to say you sound like a genius when it comes to these things. My mate just bought a Toshiba, and along with another guy we may try getting you down to Cleveland in the future (we'll wait til the snow thaws out
wink.gif
) to hopefully share your magic.
If it would not be too much of a bother to you, would you mind taking a look at my site (where I have started to add the service menu items) and maybe suggest some areas us Panasonic owners could start to experiment with? WOuld be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and kudos again, Brett

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
After a quick glance at your page ... the B-Y/R-Y items look like colour decoder controls. Will have to experiment with them.
More to come.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Robert Bergman

Auditioning
Yes Brett, I was thinking that also! MTLV tour in our part of town. I'm sure we could drive the numbers past three!
Glad your getting that thing figured out. I was surpised how simple disabling the TOSH SVM was once I witnessed it yesterday.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Brett. And thanks to Michael_TLV for helping us out with this new set.
I'm still awaiting my set's arrival. My dealer's last estimate was "3rd week of July" so hopefully I'll have it in less than 2 weeks.
Brett, can you please post the phone number you called for the service manual? I may call them ahead of time so that it will be here when the set arrives.
Thanks!
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Brett W

Agent
Carlo,
FIrst of all really feel for you about not having the set yet, talk about patience. I realise you have little choice, but this whole process must be allowing you to make sure everything is right for the set, space, manuals, ambient lighting
wink.gif
Seriously though, hope you get it soon, and we have figured out some good tweaks also.
The number is 1-800-833-9626, there is no part number par se, but once given the model number the lady I spoke to (Nicola, very helpful) said it was no problem.
Two manuals were delivered, a main service manual that covers numerous models, and a seperate one for the new sets. The latter includes circuits unique to the newer models as well as instuctions on taking the newer models apart, it is the first that has all the good stuff.
Cost was $9.37, with a $3 shipping charge. I ordered last Monday and the manuals were delivered Saturday. So not bad at all really.
Hope that helped, Brett

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brett. Yeah, I've got the space all ready for the new set. It's like Plug-n-Play when it finally arrives: take old set out, move new set in, plug in cables, enjoy!
Of course, I'll be spending a day or two calibrating...but that's another story.
I will call the number in the next couple of days. That's actually pretty cheap for the service manual. Aren't they usually around $20? I'm not complaining, though. Maybe I'll ask for Nicola...it's hard to find good CSRs these days.
wink.gif

------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Michael, I don't know why, but it never even occured to me that those would be for the colour decoder. I guess I just kept thinking 'component video inputs'. I didn't have Avia with me today (for the colour filters), but I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow.
I can *almost* guarantee that none of those options are for SVM though!
Also, the Panny's most definitely do have a multi-point convergence. I believe it's 64-point. It's actually quite a bit more sophisticated than Toshiba's, but it's also more complex and harder to use because of all the options. My favorite feature is that you can move an entire line! Wouldn't it be sweet to have that on the Toshiba's!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
JohnnyG,
If there turns out to be no menu option for SVM, would there still be the option (as there is on other sets, I'm not sure of the procedure though) of disconnecting the SVM wires in the set? Would you know how to do that? I thought Michael_TLV did that for someone before on a calibration, but I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Carlo
------------------

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
On my Toshiba TW40x81 there is a seperate SVM board. I just disconnected the power to it. You can also unplug it from all the CRT's. It may not be so easy on the Panasonic though...
Ryan
------------------

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Johnny,
>>the Panny's most definitely do have a multi-point convergence. I believe it's 64-point. It's actually quite a bit more sophisticated than Toshiba's, but it's also more complex and harder to use because of all the options. My favorite feature is that you can move an entire line!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
SUCCESS!
I'm positively thrilled to report that Michael is indeed correct! Together, the COLOR, B-Y_G and R-Y_A parameters in the service menu can be adjusted for perfect colour decoder performance!
So simple, yet I was so blind to the solution. Thanks Michael for leading me to water!
Basically, all you have to do is set the COLOR parameter so that red is at 0% (using AVIA colour decoder check), then adjust the B-Y_G to bring blue to zero, then R-Y_A to bring green down.
My before/after numbers (on a PT-51HX41) ended up as:
COLOR: 20 -> 40
B-Y_G: 08 -> 2A
R-Y_A: 02 -> 00
I overcooked COLOR a bit since the user menu 'Color' is now at 25, but you get the idea. because of the limited range of the R-Y_A parameter, it might not be possible to end up with a 'centered' user Color control.
So far, I've only tested this for component input and I don't know yet whether these settings affect all input types or not. I'm pretty certain though, that there are different memories for 480i, 480p and 1080i input.
The picture now looks a LOT more natural. This, combined with this sets nearly flat gray scale, means that it is very accurate colour wise.
The only thing left is to disable SVM and Panasonic has already told me that they can do this.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
JohnnyG & Michael_TLV--YOU GUYS ROCK!
Thanks to Brett for keeping his site up, as well. I can't wait to get my set now that the color decoder can be tweaked. If you can get to the bottom of the SVM we might just have a great set on our hands for a very reasonable price.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------

Jeff Leigh

Agent
Good work on the Red Push fix.
Hopefully the convergence will be easy to correct. I have some bad areas on my set (mostly in the corners) that the 9-point convergence can't fix.
------------------

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Andrew, the multipoint convergence is in the service menu.
Jeff, Panny's convergence system took me a long time to get used to.
If you're going to dive into it, just remember that nothing is final until you hit the 7 button to save your work.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks