What's new

Panasonic 47wx42 vs. Toshiba 42h82 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A local dealer is selling the Panasonic 47wx42 for 1300 and the Toshiba 42h82 for 1500. I was wondering what folks would choose in this situation. Size over price? Vice versa? Features on one not found on the other that tips the scale?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Size over price? Vice versa?
But the Panny beats the Tosh in both though, so it's not either or unless you're talking about TV depth. The Tosh is shallower and of course takes up less space in general, which may or may not matter to you.

If size and price are not important, then you should probably just judge based on PQ for the kinds of content you watch and/or care about most. The Tosh might look more natural out-of-the-box and will probably be better at stretching and linedoubling regular 4x3 TV content. It might also be better for non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs w/ its better scaler. With the Panny, the zoom mode will make scan lines more visible. OTOH, you may or may not notice the very slight resolution loss on the best DVDs w/ the Tosh due to the 540p upconversion (and any other artifacts that might result in general).

All of these can be tough calls. For me, the size and price differences would be more important, but then, I don't like stretching 4x3 content and don't watch much regular TV stuff.

Oh, one other thing is that the Tosh allows for DVI/HDCP upgradability (at a cost of course) while the Panny does not. All else being equal, it'd be nice to have the option, but all else is rarely equal.

FYI, I own the Panny 53", but might've chosen the Tosh 50" if it cost about the same.

_Man_

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I was looking at the same models and ended up with the Panny. Its 5" bigger than the Tosh and the size match my living space. Once you get it calibrated with Avia, the picture looks beautiful. I plan to get it ISF later. I don't notice the stretch mode being so awful on what other have said about the Panny. I think it looks great. I view my cable in "Just Mode" and from my eyes, it looks just as good as the Tosh.

The HD box is coming. Can't wait to see that.

Its all up to you. If you think one looks better than the other, get whatever you prefer.

I choosed the Panny because it looked good and I've been researching this model for a long time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tim,

HD content will knock your socks off! :D It's certainly making me re-evaluate the amount of "regular TV" viewing I want to do from the major networks. CBS shows like Alias and The Agency look awesome. :emoji_thumbsup: Also, even the non-HD stuff on the HD channels look much better than otherwise--quite close to good DVD quality.

Enjoy!

_Man_

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
How do you know which shows are in HD? Is there a listing somewhere on the net?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks