What's new

Panasonic 47" settings; questions (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
(Sorry for the repost, but I've gotten no answers where I originally posted this here, so I'm openning a thread...)
I got the new Panasonic 47", and I've tweaked it as stated on this site & HTS posts. So far, I love it, although I'm a bit concerned that the settings I wound up with (using VE) are too bright, and I may be risking burn-in. At a glance, can anyone tell me if these setting are too bright? I'd be interested in comparing settings for this set w/ other owners. Here are my settings:
Color = 20
Tint = 39
Brightness = 35
Picture = 39
Sharpness = 0
I've been in the service menu a few times, and fixed the red push, but I'm waiting on the service manual I ordered to arrive before I go in and disable the SVM problem. I've been avoiding the 4:3 mode until I hear if these settings are safe.
ALSO, I've always run my DVD player out to the TV using S-video. Is composite better? I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on this, too.
Thanks in advance...
JiM T

Jeff Leigh

Agent
I can't really tell if those settings are too bright compared to my set. A lot of depends on the lighting in your room. I've also been into service mode to tweak the settings, so all my user controls are now set at 31.
Red push was fairly easy to fix, but SVM isn't. There are connectors on the three CRT boards that can be removed, but they are very tightly connected and no one has yet figured out a way to remove them without breaking something.
Definitely run component into the TV. There is a noticeable difference. Even more so if you have a progressive player. Although the PT47 does a very good job even without a progressive player.
------------------

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff. My veiwing room is pretty dark, so that's not the issue. I'm just concerned about burn-in. I want the freedom of being able to watch 4:3 movies in 4:3 mode, and not have to be fearful that I'm slowly destroying my expensive new TV in the process. I know that one should lay off of 4:3 material for the first few months of owning the set, but how much is too much, I wonder? If I watch a whole 2 hr 4:3 movie this week, will burn-in get us? If I turn the brightness down to say, 25, is that a solution?
Many thanks...
JiM T

Jeff Leigh

Agent
Brightness isn't the main cause of burn-in, picture(constrast) is. If you are worried about burn-in (personally I think there is a lot of FUD concerning burn-in) you can keep your picture setting low and you should be ok.
All the cases of burn-in that most people have seen are at showrooms where the picture setting is cranked all the way up.
------------------

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff! I'll try not to be so freaked out about burn-in.
I have another stupid question. I have an old Sony non-progressive DVD player. No fancy three-cabled composite output. Would a single "Video" composite output be preferable over S-video? I have them both running currently, and I can see no real difference. The 480i vs. 480p talk is confusing me. From what I gather, I couldn't get a 480p signal out of my DVD player, correct? I'm stuck w/ 480i for the time being, right?
In the meantime, I just got the service manual, and there was also a number of other confusing manuals as well. I don't know if this is what everyone else has been getting, but I have the "simplified" manual (which has the 47" listed), and bigger service manual, with a 4:3 unit on the cover. Also, I got two copies of the Technichal Guide. They're on the invoice and everything! From what I can tell, they're exactly the same. Is this what everyone's been getting? Why would anyone need two of these?
Anyway, now I actually have to sit down and make some sense out of this stuff! Headache inducing, it is. Gotta figure out the 64 pt convergence...
JiM T

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
jim- i'll gladly take your extra! how do you do the 64 pt convergence, thru the service mode i am assuming?

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy, I don't know how to do the 64 pt convergence yet. Hopefully soon I'll have time to spend with all these manuals, and figure it out. Apparently you have to make a grid out of string & cardboard or something? I have no clue about this, so if there are directions or a description for this online anywhere, I'd love to know about it.
JiM T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks