What's new

Panasonic 42" plasma - TH-42PA25U-P - comments/suggestions? (Was shopping DLPs) (1 Viewer)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
I have been shopping TVs and thought I wanted a Samsung DLP...however Costco has a 42" Panasonic plasma that has a stunning picture and I think I'm in love.

I know the negative with plasma is the possible short life span and lack of ability to repair. What about Panasonic plasmas as far as quality? It's at Costco for $2499.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I have the updated PD version of this set which includes the HD tuner and cablecard. This is easily the best plasma for the money. PQ is stunning and black levels are close to CRT.

As for ED vs HD, if your viewing distance is greater then 10' you will not be able to tell the difference. ED is perfect for DVD as it's resolution matches DVD exactly at 480p.

If you decide on this set you will not be disappointed, as an owner I highly recommend it.

Bernie Lomax

Agent
HD is not a huge seller for me right now as I prefer satellite reception and the HD channels are limited. I like the 480 news for the DVDs. I think this may be the one for us.

My only concern is the life span of these plasma TVs. Are burn in and longevity real serious issues? Its seems to me like much ado about nothing. If I watch TV 5 hours a day, thats 1825hrs a year. 18250 hours in 10 years. These plasmas have life spans of 60000 hours? I dont see what the big concern is.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I recently performed an experiment between HD (1080i) and (480p) on both DVD and true HD sources. I actually lost a bet on this one. Good 480p (ED) is a totally respectable and worthy display resoultion for HD sources, before the experiement I had argued that it wasn't. I'm a total convert on that now though.

There is so much more to a display than raw resolution. It is but one part of the equation.

A really great ED display will slay a below everage true HD display every time hands down on picture quality, at least with the 60" and under sizes.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The big concern is perception.

The first few generation of plasmas had terrible lifespans, something like 10-15k hours, and the brightness fall off curve was very steep. They burned-in very very easily too. Burn in is related to plasma half-life, the time it takes for a plasma to reach half brightness.

Even a few generations ago, plasma lifespans were not wonderful.

This last generation or two is much much better.

I have a panasonic 6UY, the business/industrial version using the exact same panel as the 25up you're looking at. The quality is amazing, even with HD. At 7-8' or more away, most (though not all) people with normal 20/20 eyesight have a very difficult time telling between the "HD" models and the ED.

The newest 7UY has an improved panel, with increased brightness, and a few other tweaks. It should trickle down to the consumer sets in a few months, and be launched as the 30up model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks