What's new

Panasonic 34WX50, the best direct view?? (1 Viewer)

Victor Y

Agent
I have saw this TV in BB, CC and other stores numerous times and this TV just stand out compared to the others - Philips 34", Sony XBR2, XBRr450, Toshiba 34", RCA 38", etc. I am not talking about the color of the red, green which is based on individual perference. I am talking about sharpness and details which are very obvious to me.

Is this TV just tune better coming out of the box or is this TV the best direct view TV out there.

Eric Hopewell

Auditioning
I thought this was the best direct view TV for about a year. Then I saw the Sony 34" 16x9 xbr2. I got a demo of the Phantom Menace pod race seen on both sets, both with the Sony 9000 DVD player through component feed. In my opinion the Sony was sharper. I actually did see some jaggies on the Panasonic. I was just about ready to buy the Tau for $2350, but after that demo I concluded I liked the Sony much better. But at $1000-$1500 more decided to wait again.

Just my .02.

Eric

Victor Y

Agent
The sony come with integrated HDTV tuner. With panasonic, you have to spend $500-$700 to get a tuner. Both is excellent TV and #1, #2 in my book.

Atho

Agent
The Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba in my opinion are all great. I have'nt seen the Sony in action but the Panny's line doubler is Very, very good.

But the Panny and the Sony are WAY overpriced. In Canada, the Sony is like 7 grand, the Panny 5, and the Toshiba 3. The Sony and Panny might be better, but in my opinion just by a hair and are not worth the extra money.

Brad Hood

Agent
I'm seriously considering buying the Sony direct view set, and I like the fact that the HDTV tuner is built in. My question is what would I need to add on to receive Direct TV HD? Does their regular receiver put out an HD signal, or would I end up needing another box to receive HD from direct TV.

Also, is anyone here from Olympia, WA and are you receiving OTA HD signals from Seattle stations? I live in Dupont, which is about 10 miles south of Tacoma. I know people in Tacoma can get HD; I'm just trying to make sure I'm within the signals' reach.

Brad

Victor Y

Agent
I try to buy a Toshiba from Canada because they are so much cheaper than here for some unknown reason but they will not ship it to me. In states, you probably can get the sony for $3500, Pan for $2200 and Tosh for $2000 on line. for $200 difference, I will take the pan.

I watch a lot of sports and a lot of regular TV. With a limited budget, I end up buying the Philip 32" 4:3 HD ready TV last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks