Panamax Max 8 DBS+5 satellite coax jacks clean-up picture jitter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason8, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

I have the Panamax 8 Coax, which I was using when I had Digital Cable and when running the feed through the Cable TV coax inputs/outputs on the Panamax, seemed to stabilize the picture (less jitter, particularly on news channels with ticker tape scrolling bottom), and on some other channels tighten up blurriness. I tried to use the Panamax 8 coax with my new Dish Network feed, but the signal wouldn't feed through it. I'm thinking of getting the DBS+5 model that has coax jacks for satellite feed, but was wondering if it would help stabilize the video feed much like the 8 coax model did for my digital cable setup.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jason,

Yes, there's a voltage difference between satellite and cabletv coax; Panamax describes their 0.1V cable vs. 27V sat voltage clamping or cutoffs in the product blurbs. So go for the DBS+5 unit as your all-arounhd power center.

Running sat or cable coax thru these F-terminals is for surge protection, and sometimes to help avoid a ground loop hum in the system (incl video hum bars that move up the screen) particularly with cable coax. Perhaps this is what you experienced.

I haven't heard of these Panamax units "stabilizing" any video feed otherwise thru the coax F-terminals. Beyond this, the Max units like most carry AC line noise filters for RF/EMI interference on power lines from your plugged-in components.

Do you know www.powersystemsdirect.com for Panamax and others discount prices?

EDIT: Actually, I remembered that Panamax will sell you an add-on module just for a DBS (sat) cable for $39 MSRP so you can continue to use the COAX model for everything else HERE

bill

3. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

Maybe i was imagining things, but i thought my digital cable feed looked better when run thru the panamax coax terminals...i'm a little disappointed then with the video quality of Dish Network then, Time Warner Digital Cable was a notch or two better here in San Diego, CA. The audio however is definately better. Thanks also for the info on the Panamax add-on modules, that might be a more reasonable purchase at this point [​IMG]