Panamax Max 5300 Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, May 7, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Is anyone currently using one of these

and if so what do you think of it. TIA

2. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gerard,

I'm using one and I am very pleased with it. Aside from surge protection and peace of mind, I use it for other reasons that, to me, make it a valuable piece of HT gear -- easier power cord management, 2 non-clamping outlets for my sub amp and 5-ch amp, 12v trigger w/delays to eliminate the speaker thump in my system. The analog voltmeter shows me how much juice I'm drawing. I got it for $350, IIRC, at consumer-direct.com.

Regards,

Todd

3. Gerard Martin

Todd

Thanks for the input, do you happen

to know if Consumers-Direct is an

authorized Panamax on-line dealer?.

4. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

Oh, wow...now I see they have it for $299! That's a steal.

Anyway, I don't know for sure if consumer-direct.com is an authorized Panamax reseller, but my gut reaction is that they are not, especially at the prices they're selling Panamaxes for.

If you're worried about Panamax not honoring their product or connected equipment warranties b/c you bought from a non-authorized dealer, it's a valid concern. But I scoured Panamax's site looking for warnings, a la Denon's or Rotel's site, and couldn't find a one. That doesn't mean they don't have a policy, however.

In the end, I bit the bullet and bought one from them anyway. Wasn't a large chunk o' change for me at the time and it was a great deal. $300, however, is an even better deal. And they were prompt w/shipping too. Not a bad web store, IMO.

Good luck,

Todd

5. Gerard Martin

Todd

Living in the lightning capital

of the world the warranty was a concern

having put together a HT system thats

getting close to the price of the house

I did not want to take a chance and

went with onecall for $350 which still

is a good price and a manufacturer authorized dealer. For what its worth onecall said Consumer-Direct was not a Panamax authorized dealer. Thanks again.

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I just called Panamax to find out about authorized internet retailers and here's what they said...

If it's sold new and in a factory sealed box, the warranty will be honored.

To which I asked... how would YOU know if the box was sealed, I'd know, but how would you? I didn't get a good answer there. =) She responed that from the reciept they could figure it out.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff said:

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Then what credibility do we place in discountpanamax's upfront claim:

9. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Keith, Funny you mentioned OneCall, I asked about them too. I'll give her this, she stated up front, the don't really have a list of etailers. When I said onecall, she hesitated, and said, "I don't know them, so I think not". Then she told me again the list doesn't exist and if it's a sealed box it would be covered. I said that OneCall claims to be authorized, and that I've delt with them before and believe that they are authorized.

She did give me a couple of etailers, but I don't have the names at home. I can post them tomorrow.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff,

It seems like Panamax is not as rigorous as some manufacturers out there with respect to warranty coverage. In any event, I would rather order from OneCall than discountpanamax.com since I've ordered from OneCall in the past and since they are authorized.

Bill,

I've read that claim on discountpanamax.com. Just because an e-tailer sells merchandise in sealed boxes with manufacturers' warranties does not mean they are an authorized dealer. They may not be getting the merchandise directly from the manufacturer. If the manufacturer is not selling direct to the dealer, the manufacturer will not be able to verify the origin or original condition of the item in need of repair. As a result, the manufacturer may not warrant the item.

A lot of people on eBay have accrued a hefty positive rating selling brand new audio and video components that come in sealed boxes with manufacturers' warranty cards. These items may be first-rate (new, not refurbs, etc.). However, that doesn't mean that the manufacturer will warrant them. I could sell you a brand new Denon AVR-3802 receiver in a sealed box with a Denon warranty card via eBay. If you had a problem with it six months later and needed a repair, I doubt Denon would be impressed upon learning that you bought it from me. You could be up a creek without a paddle. Just my $0.02 and something to think about.

11. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

Gerard
    I own a small home based retail store. I sell panamax among other things and as long as my customers have my reciet they do not get hassled I send products to either the manufacturer or repair shops in my area that do warranty work
    Mike[​IMG]
    http://hdsaudio.homestead.com/index.html

12. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

The price at the website previously mentioned (discountpanamax) is now $319.

Jim

13. Gerard Martin

Mike

How would you handle someone who

bought a brand new factory sealed Panamax 5300 from the back of a

truck who had a receipt and also a

$50,000 claim for total destruction of

their equipment. I like to deal with

someone such as onecall that has there

policy carved in stone "Manufacturer

Authorized" which I can testify to,

just sent Sony Service Center a receiver

came back no problem, no charge.

14. Jim Golden

I just got mine yesterday. I got it from avstreet (a yahoo etailer). I looked at the warranty that came with the unit, and there isn't any language that would lead one to believe that the warranty will only be honored if purchased from designated retailers.

Jim

15. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry, I absolutely understand your point, and it is nice to know that Panamax has good and seemingly knowledgable customer service. However, if I go out and buy a Panamax unit and do not follow their directions explicity, how will they know the difference? For example, how would they know if I used a non-Panamax power cord?

17. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Keith:

Good question.

Let me preface my response by saying that my cautionary posting was aimed at folks, such as Jerry, who might find themselves in the unfortunate position of attempting to submit a very large claim. I seriously doubt that if all you wanted was a replacement of their protector that you would have a problem at all. All you would probably do is send them the unit, and they would send you the replacement.

However, in a large claim, they would do what insurance companies do. They would send out a claims adjuster to visit you and inspect the situation. If the claim was large enough, they would also likely test all the equipment to ascertain the failure mode.

Is it possible that I could substitute a non-Panamax extension cord and not be caught? Sure. Did I go out an buy one for my situation? Absolutely. Why? Say I have $20,000 of gear connected to my Pananmax, why would I want to put myself through the hassle or risk the $5,000,000 connected equipment warranty by not buying a $6 extension cord?

Larry

18. Jim Golden

I've had mine for three days now...so far so good. I have a separates system (preamp + amps). The nicest thing about the '5300 is that I can now turn my whole system on via my remote. I merely connected the 12volt trigger output from my B&K reference 20+ to the input of the Panamax (this even helped sell my wife on this purchase!).

The unit also allows you to "stagger" the startup of various components. In addition, the unit has a "lighted" voltage meter (the brighness is adjustable) that I leave off, but some will probably enjoy. So far I'm pretty happy.

Jim

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry, I understand what you are saying. For the unscrupulous out there, it would be very easy to "rig" the set-up into compliance with Panamax's policy before the claims adjuster arrived.

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder how big a claim one has to submit before a claims adjuster will come to your house. I guess it depends on the insurance company. Last year, I got back from a business trip to England only to find that my three-year-old Dell desktop computer was fried during a lightning storm. It was completely dead. My insurance company issued me a check to get a suitable replacement without even seeing my old computer to verify the damage. I was shocked. I didn't even have to fax in the receipt for the purchase of the old computer. My claim was legit, and the replacement Dell computer was far better than the original, so things worked out very well for me. I am just amazed about how lax my insurance company was.

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

KeithH: you mentioned your receiver was fried too. How was that handled?