What's new

Panamax 5300 - Outlets question (1 Viewer)

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,
Ok, let's see if I can explain the question I am trying to ask. :)
I was planning to plug my 2 subs into the 2 high-powered outlets on the 5300 but the problem is the subs are on the other side of the room. I was thinking about running electrical wires from the 5300 outlets terminating at the wall outlets which I will then plug the subs into...this will also do the switch-on feature that I like.
My question is does it defeats the purpose regarding noise filtration by doing that?
Thanks,
Mark

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
It's not quite clear what you'e thinking, but what is the distance gap from the stretched-out sub plug to the surge box? You can get a 10-foot heavyduty Panamax approved extension cord here for about $8 each.
There are smaller two-outlet, plug flat in the wall outlet surge protectors for subs at a closer wall outlet, but if the outlet is on a different home circuit, there is a chance of inducing a ground loop hum. Cant tell till you plug it in.
But you've got that hunking new Pan 5300, so why not use it, right? As far as the "high-current" outlets on the 5300, they are there first for big, separate amps, and yes, really big subs that need to draw transient "boom" current since there may be some storage capacitors on these outlets. If your receiver and/or power amps pull more wattage than the subs, plug them in the hi-current first. But it's doubtful that any of the components will be seriously current-starved from any of the Panamax outlets.

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill,

Let me see, what I want to do is plug the subs into the wall outlets by them and run the electrical wires, about 25ft, from the wall outlets back and plug into the Max 5300 outlets. So basicly, the 25ft plus the wall outlets is an extension of the Max 5300's outlets. Hope this makes sense.

What that said, does it defeats the purpose with noise filtration the 5300 provides?

Thanks.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mark, I cannot visualize your plan...

If you plug the subwoofers' electrical power cords into the nearest wall outlet, the subs will use that particular house wiring circuit.

But you say you want to plug the subs into the Panamax 5300, 25 feet away. I don't see how you could use the wall outlet nearest the subs, and then transfer electricity back to the Panamax 5300 and its own wall outlet without rewiring the house circuits inside the walls. I dont think this is the way you want to go.

That's why I suggest running a heavyduty extension cord along the room baseboards. Perhaps you don't want to see these extra cords arouind the room, unsightly perhaps. However, heavyduty extension cords should not pickup much interference signals. The Panamax 5300 filters for EMI/RF only are effective "upstream" for the electrical circuit it is plugged into.

If I don't understand what you're driving at, pls come back..

bill

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the confusion, I should of mentioned I will be constructing my basement therefore are able to run the wires inside the wall from the 5300 to the wall outlet then the subs plug into the wall outlet.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Your Panamax 5300 is just a big box of filters, capacitors and what-not with electrical outlets so it becomes a handy power center to protect everything plugged into it. The Max itself is powered from one electrical (wall outlet) circuit. Anything plugged into other wall outlets on the same wiring circuit, either "upstream" or "downstream" from the Max is not protected by the surge suppressor.
Running OEM or out of the box electrical cords plus extension cords inside the walls is forbidden by Electrical Code, since 15-amp or 20-amp Romex type wiring is required.
At this point, and I admire your openmindedness, you might get a book on Home Wiring at Home Depot and/or talk with an electrician.
I know you want to use the new Max 5300, but the quickest way to get surge protection to the subs at their own outlet is to use a small, two-oulet Panamax MAX 2 for $30 HERE
I am not the expert, so perhaps others can see another solution. And if your project will involve open studs prior to wallboard, you certainly can run a custom length or two of sub cable coax in the walls such as RG-6 or Belden type to connect to the amplifier across the room.

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Look at the pic below...is that your understanding of what I was trying to explain? I want to utilize the noise filtration and the switch-on/delay outlets that the 5300 provide..when I turn the amp on the subs come on.
As for speaker wires I will be running 1 RG6 and 2 14 gauge for bi-wiring the high/mid and the RG6 will be for the built-in sub low-level input for both of them (Deftech BP2000).
Thanks,
Mark
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bbd09...jCN89ATDjUU_JP

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What I want to do is plug the subs into the wall outlets by them and run the electrical wires, about 25ft, from the wall outlets back and plug into the Max 5300 outlets. So basically, the 25ft plus the wall outlets is an extension of the Max 5300's outlets. Hope this makes sense.
You’re in luck, Mark – I speak “install-ese,” so I understand exactly what you are wanting to do.
The short answer is yes, you can easily do this, especially since we’re talking about new construction here.
All you need to do is put in a run of romex between the equipment and the sub location. At the equipment rack you would install a standard in-wall electrical box and terminate to a male (not female) plug. However, it may be a problem finding one suitable for solid-core wire. If so, you could splice in a tail at the box with the appropriate wire nuts, and plug it directly into your conditioner. You could use a heavy-duty extension cord for the tail (cut the female end off). The tail plugs into the conditioner, and there’s the power for your sub.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, thanks...I know that it could be done, I was just concern if by doing so it defeats the purpose of the "noise filtration" the 5300 provides.

Thanks guys.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks