Panamax 5300 - High-powered outlet problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MicheleB, Dec 7, 2002.

1. MicheleB

MicheleB Auditioning

When I plug two Outlaw amps into the high-powered outlets, and it is triggered, power is drawn at the same time causing the 5300 to trip, shutting everything off. Given that they are high-powered outlets, it seems like there should be a delay between those two outlets. So, for now, I can't plug both amps into the 5300. Has anyone else resolved this? Or are there any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Michele

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I suppose it is dismaying that the two Outlaw amps are not delayed at the (2)high-current outlets so that the current inrush doesnt overload the Panamax.

Looking at the owners manual, it does seem to appear that the sequential/delay feature operates in conjunction with the Outlet Bank 2.

I'd suggest plugging the smaller of the two Outlaw amps into Bank 2 and setting the delay to the 10-second position.

Panamax 5300 and 5100 have identical features. Others who have the units, including Mary MS who runs an Outlaw 770 and the Max 5300, may come in here....

3. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

Michele,
    sounds like the panamax is not up to the job...
    there are many other units out there that can do what you are asking without problems.....monster power, SurgeX, brickwall as well as others
    for example...(from the SurgeX website)
    "SurgeX-ICE® Inrush Current Elimination is incorporated into all SurgeX remote turn-on and sequential products. SurgeX-ICE® solves an old problem and also provides an innovative new approach to power control for large systems.
    All electronic equipment has a power supply which charges-up when the power is first turned on. This causes a momentary inrush current which is typically five to ten times the normal operating current. Signal processing equipment and other low-power equipment will not individually have a problematic inrush current but, when several pieces of equipment are turned on simultaneously, there can be a large inrush. However, the real offenders are the big amplifiers, especially those with switching power supplies. Some amplifiers have inrush current limiting built-in but many do not. In the case of amplifiers with no limiting, the only thing that limits the inrush current is the resistance of the copper wire between the panel and the amplifier! Peak currents of 200 Amps have been measured with some amplifiers. Powering up even one of these amplifiers can blow a circuit breaker, and powering up two or three simultaneously almost certainly will. Relay and switch contacts can also eventually weld together when subjected to these huge inrush energies. SurgeX-ICE® soft turn-on totally eliminates inrush current problems. You can connect as many pieces of equipment as you like to a SurgeX-ICE® product (provided, of course, that the total load is not exceeded) and you never have to worry about the inrush current or the need to install expensive time-delay circuit breakers."
    www.surgex.com
    Russ

4. MicheleB

MicheleB Auditioning

Thank you Bill and Russ. I've plugged into Bank 2 for now and will continue researching the others mentioned.

Michele

5. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Michele,

I too have a Panamax 5300 and I have the same problem, although I only have one amp and a subwoofer connected to the High Current outlets. I have the 5300 triggered to be powered up by my Pre/Pro. I also have a 10 second delay set for the High Current outlets so that everything else has a chance to power up before the amp. "Sometimes" when the amp powers up, it causes either an over or under voltage situation, which causes the 5300 to shut everything down for a few seconds.

On February 27, 2003 I contacted Panamax about this situation. I spoke with one of their engineers who said he had heard of this 3-4 other times. He said the situation created is an "under voltage" situation. What he did for the others, what he is going to do for me, and what Panamax is going to implement in future models is to add a short delay to their SureGate Circuitry. This will allow the amp to power up without tripping that particular safety feature. That's the way I remember his explaination.

You might give him a call and see if he can help you with your unit also. I believe his name is Mike Troop and his phone number is (800) 472-5555. I can't find the note I had his extension on.

Let me know things come out.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ron,

Good job in verifying this overlooked glitch with the Panamax 5300 hi-current support. It's as I recall also being informed.

It just reinforces my admiration for Panamax customer support and openness about their products. Can you imagine trying to get thru to MonsterPower and even getting such an admission, much less a fix-it offer?

bill