Panamax 5100, 5300 surge protectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Do these models use MOV technology and if so how would one know when they are no longer able to provide full protection.
    TIA.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

jerry,
    it appears Panamax still relies on MOVs and describes how well they do it in a "technical paper" on their website. See the link to it (and scan the thread if you want) HERE
    Panamax complies with minimum standard U.L. 1449 Listing for surge suppressors, mainly taking a peak impulse of 330V before clamping down (the lower the figure the better). Not all makers submit their models for testing. Cant say when they "stop working" because it depends on the number and severity of hits. Panamax paper claims it can take it for "years." Both units look hefty enough.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

My understanding is that they do and as for the 2nd half of your question, I believe there is a light that indicates the functional status of the unit. To get further information, I would have to suggest that you contact Panamax directly. It is true Panamax has a warranty, but I've never read the fine print and don't specifically know how an individual is protected. I'd hazzard to say that possibly their protection kicks in after your homeowners/renters insurance.This link provides some interesting information and the pictures of MOV surge protectors that have been fried and still indicate they're working fine and is a bit disturbing. One must balance these horror pictures by considering the company that makes the non-MOV devices, may well have provided those pictures to make their own particular case.
    Part of your choice depends I think to a large degree on the situation in your locale with lightning, your own personal experiences, your own particular degree of concern. At this time there seems to be no better type of units than those that use the non-MOV technology. They pass the torture test. You pay for that and may well get a bit less functionality in the way of extras. And bear in mind, that EVERYTHING connected to your system needs to be protected...any phone wires, any cable feeds...they all need it, because a surge can come in on any of those as well as the power lines. If you chooose Panamax, or some other unite, ensure that it has the UL 1449 sticker on it. Don't trust anything that doesn't. Also if you can find out what size the MOV is in those units that have have the UL 1449 sticker, then I would opt for the one that had the 20mm MOV as opposed to the 14mm MOV. The 20's, based on the link above, can take ~10 times more punishment.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Chu Gai is always wise to advise understanding the fine print of our power center warranties versus what homeowner/renter insurance provides -- repair or replace, without depreciation, minus of course the deductible.

Given the deductible and homeowner claim hassle, it wud be outstanding if Panamax, for one, says "dont bother, we'll repair any damaged equipment or buy you a new one and give you a new surge protector."

So I have asked this question today in an email to customer relations at Panamax and will post any reply.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

which also suggests that one ought to have a decent backup surge protector too no? Something bare bones but reputable...just in case [​IMG] I'd like at some point to consolidate all this and maybe make it available somehow. PDF or maybe in Vince's compendium.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

...life is a journey...
    where's the fun if one categorizes, annotizes and centralizes all of this in one encyclopaedic spot. So we can advise truth-seekers to CLICK HERE and be done with it? Nah...
    It's true that many topics are constantly recycled -- sub calibration; receiver tones; LARGE or SMALL -- because people have not been interested at the particular time in their journey or havent reached the stage to even know to ask. So the questions get asked again and the best thing is then there are newer or more knowledgable people coming online who can add to the collective database. IMHO.
    Vince Maskeeper created the Beginners FAQ for these Basic questions, altho folks quickly started getting technical in their submissions. I wrote on surge/power conitioners hopefully in a general way, and now on the boards in more detail[​IMG]
    But if someone have the time for a PDF, go for it!
    bill

7. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Bill
    I use WebTV for access to the internet
    WebTV has its limitations one being I was
    unable to click on the thread you provided in your post. In any event I called Panamax and was told the unit would offer full protection until I saw a red light on the front panel above unsafe voltage, at that time the unit no longer provides full protection and should be returned, replaced, repaired. I was under the impression MOV surge supressors degrade gradually over a period of time rather than instantaneously. Was I wrong, is this
    really a red green situation.
    As for there $5,000.000 this coverage is
    secondary to any existing manufacturers warranty, or any insurance that may cover the loss and/or service contract in existence at the time of loss.
    My question with the exception of things the 5300 offers such as sequential startup/shutdown and under/over voltage protection is the 5300 really any better than Tripplites ISOBAR 6 DBS. Thanks

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This came from Chipcenter.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jerry, doncha just love this stuff! So many options...

As Chu noted earlier, perhaps living in Florida you are subject to more lightning and power outages, therefore the most effective surge protector is in order. Then again, you may be stationed somewhere else if you stay in the Navy, and dont want to overspend on this.

You've seen the convenience features. The only ones that really count are enough F-terminal coax sets for cabletv or DSS and perhaps a tel wire outlet for a DSS box. Let's look at three protectors, and you decide: 2 are MOV, one is Series Mode, the so-called "brickwall" type.

*TrippLite Isobar6 DBS, UL 1449 Listed, at $60 is the all-around economy choice. Solid metal chassis, 6 plugs 2 sets of coax terminals and tel.

*Panamax 5100 at ~$235 (let's set aside the fancier 5300; surge protection is nearly the same as 5100). You've already studied these two it seems and can decide if the 5300's extra cost/features (one more coax set, neat analog voltmeter) are worth it to you. Same UL 1449 clamping value of 330V for surges as TrippLite.

* Adcom ACE-315 with an online price of $219. This is the Series Mode non-MOV technology that is made to the highest UL and federal govt standards as described elsewhere in these continuing sagas in terms of its big brother the Adcom ACE-615. The 315 unit has 6 Switched and 2 Unswitched outlets and ONE set of coax terminals and one tel line.

EDIT: the link to the Panamax paper essentially says Panamax uses 20mm MOVs and estimates usefulness at 1,000 surges in excess of 3,000 ampheres.