1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PANAMAX 1500 - 2 satellite feeds for tivo, need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John B., Jan 25, 2003.

1. John B.

John B. Stunt Coordinator

I have a panamax 1500 surge protector. It's got 3 spots on the back for signal inputs:
    * Satellite in/out
    * Antenna in/out
    * Additional TV in/out

They all 'look' they same. I had been using the satellite in/out for protecting the direct tv feed to the dss receiver. Then i recently upgraded to a Tivo and now am pulling 2 satellite feeds into the HT area.

Can I just use the Antenna or Additional TV jacks for protecting the 2nd satellite feed? Would that work? Internally are they the same?

Thanks a lot.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

On my Panamax 4300 they have different specifications, i.e., I believe different frequencies of coverage. Do you have the documentation? My documentation made this clear.

Doug

3. John B.

I have the owner's manual for it, but it doesn't mention specific specifications or frequencies.

I am noticing that my 2nd sat input to the tivo/dss receiver i have is having trouble (intermittingly losing all signal)....and right now that feed is first going into my panamax, into the 'antenna in/out' feeds....

4. John B.

i don't think my panamax model will support 2 satellite feeds...i switched the wires around and it looked like only the ones going thru the 'satellite in/out' were stable...i haven't checked in awhile, i'm guessing the newer panamax models support more than one satellite feed

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

John,

Panamax offers a separate module for $39 list for one addl satellite coax. Technically speaking, THEIR unit wud meet their requirements for everything hooked up to Panamax for any warranty claim. Panamax specs their sat cable filters for 27V and CATV for 0.7V, so plugging your 2nd sat into ANT may be setting the voltage cutoff level too low.

It's found at www.panamax.com Products>Max AllPath or search at the website for Part
    GTM3010 for the SSP AllPath Module. www.powersystemsdirect.com may carry it at a good price. An RG6 F-terminal jumper cable will be needed.

Forum poster Chu Gai also may point out some smaller, inline silicon diode or gas type filters by other makers as well.

bill

6. John B.

thanks for the info bill. i'm not sure i understand how this works
    ** do i run the 2nd line from the wall jack into the gtm3010, and then out from there directly into my dss/tivo box's 2nd line input?

or

** does the gtm3010 somehow need to connect to my existing panamax 1500 unit before going to the dss/tivo box?

thanks

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Your first scenario is the way to go -- the protection module replaces not having one in the existing Panamax box.

Edit: on reflection I think I see your point: if the module does not go to the Panamax box, it makes no difference what make of add-on filter one uses.