What's new

Pan & Scan Strikes Back (or Revenge of the Nerds Pt 3) WS to follow P&S a week later! (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Yes, you read it right.

Dreamworks are releasing Biker Boys in Pan & Scan on June 3rd followed by the Widescreen version on June 10th.

Now who's clever marketing idea was that?

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
:angry: :thumbsdown:

One more reason why I don't understand Dreamworks. If this becomes a regular habit...then there might be a revolt...of some sort or another. Or at least a petition:D .

Regardless this is the worst decision I have ever heard and I hope that whatever benefit they are trying to derive will backfire completely.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The big annoyance here is that rental places will be much less likely to stock the widescreen. I wasn't planning to purchase this one, but figured it might merit a rental. :frowning:

Regards,

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Exactly the point. I had no intention of purchase but why not give it a rent out of curiosity? There's no WAY I'm renting the full frame version so this is lost case...unless I see the WS version for sale for like 5 bucks or something but that won't happen. I'm curious to see what happens when the story gets around the sites.

Brad M

Second Unit
If this catches on we will miss out on that first week when new releases are usually the cheapest.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What is the source of this information, I must wonder. I tried to find info about this through my "press account" sources, but no release dates are announced yet (although cover art is available in a gallery...but there are never release dates there and it hasn't changed tonight).

James Reader

Screenwriter
To my knowledge Dreamworks has never issues a P&S release in the UK so until Johnny replies and tells us otherwise, assume this is for R1.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
That's Correct, Region 1 (Canada actually).

I doubt it will even be in cinemas in the UK by that date!!!

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
I work for a video distributor and have not recieved any release info yet for this title. I will be sure to let you know when I do. I think this policy stinks if its true.:thumbsdown:

I will keep you posted.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can imagine the Dreamworks' marketing pencil-brains analyzing the sales report...

"Why...the Pan and Scan copies outsold the WS for the first week by a factor of over 100 to none!!! The consumer CLEARLY wants P/S!"

GRRRRRRRRR :angry:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I can't possibly see any benefit to this ass-backwards release schedule if it's true, none at all. While it's probably not possible for me to care less about the particular title in question, rest assured if it becomes common practice, Dreamworks will get an earful from me.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Wait, maybe this is only Canada...Johnny G said the report came from Canada. So this could actually be the doing of Alliance-Atlantis...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If this is true, then my conspiracy theory that none of you seem to take seriously must be true: The studios are trying to sell as much P&S product as possible so that there is a re-buy opportunity a few years later. There is the possibility that consumers will buy the same title a second time once WS HD sets are more common.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wait, maybe this is only Canada...Johnny G said the report came from Canada. So this could actually be the doing of Alliance-Atlantis...
Took the words right out of my mouth. Doesn't AA release all the Dreamworks titles north of the border? If so, they could be on their own schedule.

Still no listings from Universal yet...

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
What really bugs me is that there wouldn't be a big stink if the Pan and Scan followed the Widescreen release by a week. People that don't care about things like this... don't care. So why not please the people that *do* care!

Matthew Furtek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks