What's new

Pan & scan only in 2012 (1 Viewer)

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Lifeforce is a real bug-bear for me...the theatrical cut got an anamorphic release in Germany but its OOP. The transfer on the US disc is so jagged!

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Almost unbelievable that Universal chose to release Colossus: the Forbin Project in pan and scan - considering it was made in 2.35:1 Panavision. To rub salt into the wound, it opens with "this film has been modified to fit your screen" and promptly shows all the opening titles in widescreen, as if to tease the viewer as to what might have been but isn't going to be.
Fortunately the UK release from MediumRare is a lovely 2.35:1 anamorphic - vastly superior.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Universal makes some truly baffling decisions sometimes. They quietly reissued "Fierce Creatures" in non-anamorphic widescreen last year, tucked into a four pack of unrelated comedies. The packaging says full frame, and the disc label says anamorphic. Go figure...

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Nebiroth said:
Almost unbelievable that Universal chose to release Colossus: the Forbin Project in pan and scan - considering it was made in 2.35:1 Panavision. To rub salt into the wound, it opens with "this film has been modified to fit your screen" and promptly shows all the opening titles in widescreen, as if to tease the viewer as to what might have been but isn't going to be.
Fortunately the UK release from MediumRare is a lovely 2.35:1 anamorphic - vastly superior.
The widescreen UK release was hardly lovely, and was sped -up. At least it was anamorphic widescreen though, but a lot of stair-stepping was evident

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I thought to start a new thread about this, but since I found this one.

Is it a general thread I assume?

If yes, my question is why are pan & scan DVDs released still especially in those archives/vault series?

Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Romanoff-Juliet-Peter-Ustinov/dp/B00N47NNH8

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Things-Life-Are-Free/dp/B00AB2NYSM/

http://www.amazon.com/Bachelor-Flat-Tuesday-Weld/dp/B00JDV4MQ0

And in some cases, there is a widescreen version that is broadcasted on TV (eg. Bachelor Flat)!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Weller said:
lol i'm new!

Feel free to state anything you truly believe, - as long as it's not obscene or libellous - and don't worry about saying something that's been said before! And anyway, you are not the only person who hasn't noticed the PAL 4% speed-up. As far as I know, no-one in Europe (PAL-land) has ever complained . . . . and I don't believe everyone in Europe has bad hearing!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robin9 said:
Feel free to state anything you truly believe, - as long as it's not obscene or libellous - and don't worry about saying something that's been said before! And anyway, you are not the only person who hasn't noticed the PAL 4% speed-up. As far as I know, no-one in Europe (PAL-land) has ever complained . . . . and I don't believe everyone in Europe has bad hearing!
Since he posted that three years ago, perhaps he notices it now. [emoji12]

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Tino said:
Since he posted that three years ago, perhaps he notices it now. [emoji12]

I didn't notice his post was three years old! :) I wouldn't have bothered! Oh well, . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks