Pan. DVD-CP72 Impressions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Algae, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Algae

Algae Auditioning

Please post experiences with DVD-CP72 (S/K) here!

I'm wondering aloud if it can play SVCDs???

Also, I'm hearing conflicting things about mp3 playback;
    does it show long names, does it show ID tAGS? where, on screen how about on the lcd display...

Thanks.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

No, it will not play SVCD discs, but a customer who I wouldn't doubt told me that it will play SVCD files on a disc that's formatted as a VCD.

For MP3, it'll display a long file name (30 characters, I think), but it does nothing with the ID3 tag. The front panel display only shows the 'group' (sub-directory) number and track number (the physical track number).

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

If the CP72 is the same guts as an RP82, which allegedly it is, it should be able to play SVCD. My RP82 plays them just fine, despite what the manual states.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Is the 72 the same as the 82? Do these DVD players have the MPEG decoder of the RP-91 and the de-interlacer of the RP-56? Can the 72 and 82 ZOOM non-anamorphic DVD's?

5. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I have some doubts as to wether they are the *same*, even though they supposedly use the same de-interlacer and mpeg decoder. See the thread on this page about it. There's an annoying discrepancy on Panny's website about wether the CP72 will do true 4:4:4 sampling.

As for the zoom, if you're talking about scaling, I believe the rp91 is the only one to do it. One reason many people still stick with it religiously (other than the great picture). Thankfully not an issue for me, as I have a Pioneer rptv that doesn't lock into full mode when fed a progressive stream.

HTH

6. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Whoops, sorry, Chris. The rp82 may have some scaling features. They list this feature on hteir website, and only the rp91 and rp82 are listed to have it.

"4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift"

Sounds suspiciously like scaling to me :b But the '91 owners would be the ones to ask... As mentioned b4, I don't need this feature, so never really investigated it.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, if the 82 has the de-interlacer of the RP-56 AND the decoder of the RP-91 then that would be something. If it has the de-interlacer of the RP-56 and ZOOMS/SCALES to work non-anamorphic letterbox DVD's, then regardless of which decoder it is, it sure sounds cool. Of course, I don't NEED a progressive DVD player at the moment, but I'm curious anyways.