pan and scan question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 26, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

My Samsung DVD player has a 4:3 Pan & Scan mode which is supposed to get rid of the black bars and display the film in full screen. All of my DVDs still have the black bars when played in this mode. Is something wrong with my dvd player?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi, David, and welcome to Home Theater Forum, the Internet's loudest advocate of original-aspect-ratio programming:

I believe your DVD player is in its "4:3 letterboxed" mode, which means it is sending a downconverted yet correctly scaled version of the 16:9-encoded image to your player (that is, one in its correct aspect ratio).

3. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

It has a 4:3 Letterboxed mode and a 4:3 Pan & Scan mode. In both of these modes, all dvds are displayed with black bars. Isn't pan and scan supposed to make it full screen?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

david,
    the 4:3 P&S mode on a dvd player was designed to zoom in on a letterboxed or anamorphic widescreen video, but it requires that the disc be designed with flags that tell the player what area of the widescreen image to zoom in on. there are very, very few (like 1 or two) discs that actually implement this feature, so you're just going to have to learn to accept widescreen [​IMG]

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

But you could choose the 16:9 mode. This stretches the picture vertically eliminating/reducing the black bars.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And, for that matter, trying to "fill the screen" or "get rid of the black bars" when playing a widescreen DVD is also an unacceptable option for anyone who loves film as art.