What's new

Pan and Scan Crisis.... (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
I'm royally pissed. I know people are bitching about Ball Buster Video, but wake up! What about Hollywhimp Video and NetFux? I can't afford to buy every frigging DVD I want to see, so I rent most DVD's. The Pan & Scan situation has reached a crisis level. Try and rent The Mummy Returns...
BlockBuster - Pan & Scan
Hollywood Video - Pan & Scan
NetFlix - Pan & Scan
Where is the outrage? As a renter, I consider myself truly fucked. Due to all these J6P dip shits, this trend will only continue. rentmydvd.com is my only source now...
Ball Buster gave me their usual lame form email response.
Here is what the corporate rat bastards at Hollywood Video had to say:
* * * EMAIL RESPONSE FROM HOLLYWOOD * * *
Todd, thank you for your message. It is important that we hear from valuable customers like you. Please be assured that your comments have been noted and logged. They will be read and taken earnestly. It was a company decision to purchase the DVD-The Mummy Returns in Full Frame. The sale version of the movie is available in widescreen. Sincerely, Aaron Phillips, Hollywood Guest Relations
Excuse my language, but fuck them.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wow... I hope you were a little more, um, restrained when writing to them in the first place.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is why I have avoided renting movies as of late. It becomes more of a lesson in frustration than anything else. Something definitely needs to be said and complaining to counter people accomplishes absolutely nothing. E-mailing corporate will only get you form letters in response similar to what Todd received.
What I've done in the past is rent a movie and then return it and demand you're money back because it isn't what you thought you were renting. This way the complaint is properly logged and MAYBE someone that matters will investigate the problem when their are enough complaints.
Just my 2 cents.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
But it probably won't work if the discs are clearly labeled as either "Pan and Scan" or "Fullscreen".
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Todd, this is a good reason for you to search out a local rental outlet that is in touch with what their customers want. Unfortunately all too many of them are being put under by the big boys. I am lucky that in my area there are still a couple mom and pop stores opened. Yes they do not have 30 copies of a new film, but they usually have a few. Sometimes you have to wait to see a certain film, but to me it is well worth the trade off.
J

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Last week I visited my local Costco and picked up 5 new DVD's. When I got home I proceeded to open them up and noticed to my horror that I picked up the Pan and Scan version of The Mummy Returns. It was very hard to notice that it was marked Fullframe because of the special packaging Costco uses. Luckily I did'nt open it completely and I will be returning it for a refund. Look very closely at the packaging!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I made the same mistake with the Mummy Returns, only I didn't notice it until after I'd put the disc in and saw the terrifying "this film has been modified..." with my VVega in 16x9 mode. Since it was opened, I started digging through my trash to find the receipt, and lo and behold, I still had it, way down at the bottom and half-soaked in Dr. Pepper. The brilliant idea to microwave the receipt to dry it a bit popped into my head, and that, of course, left the carbon receipt a black, illegible mess. As a longshot, I went to Best Buy with the disc and asked if I could exchange it. I got a couple of rolled-eyes when I mentioned that I didn't have a receipt, but after a lengthy hassle, I went home with the widescreen version in hand.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks