What's new

Pan 53WX42 Screen Tilted (1 Viewer)

Blair Lee

Agent
Last night I was playing with the convergence controls when I noticed something. The Green convergence control displays a green cross on the screen, and you're supposed to line it up with tick marks on the television set. When I align the cross with the top mark, the bottom mark is off slightly. When I align the cross with the right mark, the left mark is again off slightly. They're offset in the same direction, which leads me to believe that my image is tilted.

The degree of tilt is not severe, but it's definitely noticeable to someone like me. The service manual does not explicitly list a "tilt" control at all. What sort of tweaking is generally done to resolve this?

Overall, I'm still pleased with this set. I have just identified four relatively minor issues:

-convergence not perfect on far left and right sides of screen
-slight overscan
-vertical lines are not straight at the very top of the screen
-image tilted

I hope these are not overly involved fixes. I have plenty of flexibility with Circuit City regarding returns and exchanges, but I'd rather try to fix it myself first.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
This is not a returnable problem (IMHO but potentially a service call could fix it IF the tech knows what he is doing.

The cross hair is for image centering at the middle of the screen. After the image is centered then you have to geometry which involves moving the position of the green lines. When the green lines are satisfactory, then you converge the red and blue onto the green.

regards

Gregg

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
When I tried to set my convergence I noticed that mine was off as well (it's a 47wx42). I had a tech out to my house (for an unrelated issue) and he told me that it was normal, most sets don't line up exactly. Mine isn't off by much, it's basically one or two clicks off (the closest I can get is one side slightly higher and the other slightly lower, if I try to change it the situation is reversed).
I'm glad you asked this, I've been wondering if what I was told was true or if he just didn't feel like doing a little extra work at the time...
Edit: Ok, I took too long to type up my answer :D.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Evan, nice to see another HTFer from Manchester! :)
A tilt adjustment in the service menu is the easiest way to fix this (the Mitsubishis have this), but barring that a multi-point geometry/convergence would do the trick as well. For severe tilt, the yoke on the CRT may have to be physically rotated, a task not for the squeamish or careless. :)
KJP

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 47wx42 set too and on Convergence 1, it was always difficult trying to figure out where the heck to place the green crosshairs.

But I figured it out. I used Avia's widescreen picture. I forget what it's actually called but it has top marks and side marks on the test screen. I then took the green crosshairs and slid it until all the Avia marks were lined up on the tops and sides. The marks do go off screen but you can do some simple math and figure how many steps to get to the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks