What's new

Palm Pilot and your Home Theater (1 Viewer)

I carry this rather expensive Palm Pilot on my hip 12 hours a day and have only used it as an expensive address book/scheduler and a nice bar tending drink mix guide :D.
I still have some memmory left on this sucker, so I was wondering if any one has any suggestions for Palm software that can be used for Home Theater purposes? Either DVD, design, hardware, etc.. Just looking for something to play with that might eventually become useful.
PS: it is not wireless so internet connectivity is out of the question :frowning:

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure of the exact name(s) of the software, but I remember seeing something at download.com that could turn your palm pilot into a universal remote. Works using the infrared port at the top of the unit.

As I said, not sure of the specifics, but might be a little fun to try for you.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Andy - that could be fun, but leads to another question. How far away can you beam stuff? If I have to be within a couple feet, it defeats the purpose of a "remote" control :)

I've heard the same about the remote software. Very limited range. They do sell IR boosters that plug into the bottom of the Palm BUT then you have to use your Palm upside down... Sounds like alot of work.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
It depends on which model you have. Apparently the Palm V has a fairly small range, but my Handspring Visor seems to do a reasonable job.

Other than the remote software, getting a database program (there are several) that can take the csv output from DVD Profiler is invaluable. I no longer have to remember my couple of hundred titles if someone asks what I have, and because you can sort by running time you can see what films you've got time to watch easily.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I have the IMdB (Internet Movie Data Base) in TomeRaider Format on my pocket PC its great in the video store, when I can't remember an actor or just want to read about film.
From the TomeRaider Web site....
"TomeRaider is a fast, flexible and powerful cross-platform reference viewer giving instant and free access to hundreds of megabytes of encyclopedias, dictionaries, guides, religious works, philosophical texts, e-texts and novels in TomeRaider format"
kd

Iain Lambert

NOW were getting somewhere!

A DVD Profiler output is a keen idea. Can you point us in the general direction to finding such a gem?

Also do you have access to both owned, and wishlist material?

Kim Donald

VERY nice find! I am downloading that as I type. Do you have any hints on how you have it configured to work best for you?

Keep those ideas comming... boy this is fun. More new toys.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just a question guys... I received a Palm m100 for Xmas and think it's the coolest gift I got this season. :) But as you mention, right now it's nothing but an expensive date/address book.
I've been wondering about Link Removed that let's you take pics with your palm pilot. Anyone ever try it out, is it worth the ~$50 it's going for on eBay? I mainly wanna use it to snap some funny pics for my websites and to email friends, so 640x480 @ 24-bit doesn't sound that bad. But how many of them can my lil pilot hold?
Right now I use my MiniDV camera and capture still frames in Premiere. If you click on my homepage icon you can see that the results are not really clear. You think the Kodak PalmPix would be better for that kind of stuff?
Thanks for any help.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
OmniRemote has already been mentioned, but the database client I use is MobileDB Lite from Handmark. Its not got all the features of the full version, but (1) its free, and (2) the limitations aren't big enough to stop it being very good at displaying your list. Just use the csv output option on your DVD Profiler client, then use the Windows side of the MobileDB to convert it to a MDB file that the Palm software can read. You can't fire changes back to the PC on the lite version, (I'm not sure how you'd update Profiler with the changes anyway) but it does come in handy for 'what shall we watch' moments.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I use DocumentsToGo to keep an excel database of my DVDs. I suppose you could spring for the Pro version and have a powerpoint of your cabling for you HT.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info on MobileDBLite.....have been using one called TinySheet, or something like that.

Like this one much better.

Hugh M

Second Unit
here is a thread you might want to check out as well.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=palm+software
I found the best uses for mine, are database collections, Pocket Quicken, and being able to use Avantgo to download the local newspaper for off-line browsing. Its always nice when you are out driving, and decide to go to the movies, and you have the listing in your pocket.

StanfordG

Auditioning
I use my Palm V to keep a database of all my DVD titles, specs, upcoming releases, prices and where to buy. Very handy especially when you're out shopping. Saved a lot of $ this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks