Palm Pictures -- suggestions for future "Directors Label" collections

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Edward Heuck, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Jul 25, 2000
    I think it is long overdue that directors who have excelled in the short film and video realm like Spike Jonze have gotten their works collected under such an umbrella as Palm Pictures' new DVD series. As such, these are the directors I'd like to see represented in the future:

Zbigniew Rybczynski -- winner of the 1983 Academy Award for best animated short ("Tango"), he created some incredibly striking and very humorous music videos in the late '80's, taking advantage of the early manipulation possibilities in the medium. They include "Close (to the Edit)" by Art of Noise [punkette and tuxedo guys destroy instruments], "Hell in Paradise" by Yoko Ono [framed among identically dressed midgets and giants like a police lineup], "All the Things She Said" by Simple Minds [multiple Jim Kerrs stand next to each other], and what I believe still holds the record for most edits in a video, "She Went Pop" by Iam Siam. Ryb offers his own DVDs of shorts, but none of them include these classic videos.

Jean-Baptiste Mondino -- photograhper, fashionista, and sometime singer himself, Mondino's classic videos include "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley, "Never Let Me Down" by David Bowie, "Manchild" by Neneh Cherry, and "Sorry About the Weather" by Mark Curry. I think all his Madonna videos have gotten represented on DVD, thankfully.

some others:

Samuel Bayer
    Tamra Davis
    Godley & Creme
    Marcus Nispel
    Hype Williams
    Russell Mulcahy
  2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

May 7, 2002
    I enjoy Palm Pictures's first three efforts showcasing Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, and Chris Cunningham and also look forward to the hopeful continuation of their 'Director's Label' volumes. The inclusion of a 50+ page paperbound book in each set is a much appreciated touch. Please continue to do so!

Personally, I would be curious to see compilations of music videos, commercials, and any other short works by David Fincher and Ridley Scott. I know that Fincher has done a lot of music videos and commercials and Scott did over 2,000 commercials including his 1984-inspired Apple Macintosh spot. Seeing a choice sampling of each of these collections on DVD would be wonderful.