What's new

Palm as a VT terminal emulator? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if I can use a Palm to act as a VT-100 or VT-220 emulator to be able to "talk" to various controllers, in order to program them via their RS232 jacks.

Is this possible?

Todd

Roy C.

Second Unit
Todd,

I'm pretty sure you can. A friend of mine uses his Visor to connect to Cisco routers using Telnet and connecting via a custom made cable to go from hi-density connection on bottom of PDA to 9-pin RS232. I could probably ask him for more details or have him draw a pin-out diagram but it might not match your Palm. I almost tried to do the same on my Palm Vx but decided to wait until I get the M505 or the iPaq to control my Cisco hardware. Anyway, let me know.

Later,

Roy C.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I guess I shouldn't have asked if it's possible. It has to be. The Palm uses RS232 to talk to the PC through the HotSync cable.
I guess I just need to know how I can run this thing as a terminal.
Todd

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

Excellent! I didn't even know that site existed. I'm assuming I can just use my HotSync cable to connect? I didn't find anything about it in the ReadMe for the software.

Todd

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully you do not have one of the new Palms with USB hotsync. Even then, I believe that you can get serial hotsync cables.

To connect to most equipment with the hot sync cable, you will probably need a null modem adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks