Palm as a VT terminal emulator?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm wondering if I can use a Palm to act as a VT-100 or VT-220 emulator to be able to "talk" to various controllers, in order to program them via their RS232 jacks.

Is this possible?

Todd

2. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Todd,

I'm pretty sure you can. A friend of mine uses his Visor to connect to Cisco routers using Telnet and connecting via a custom made cable to go from hi-density connection on bottom of PDA to 9-pin RS232. I could probably ask him for more details or have him draw a pin-out diagram but it might not match your Palm. I almost tried to do the same on my Palm Vx but decided to wait until I get the M505 or the iPaq to control my Cisco hardware. Anyway, let me know.

Later,

Roy C.

3. Todd Hochard

I guess I shouldn't have asked if it's possible. It has to be. The Palm uses RS232 to talk to the PC through the HotSync cable.
    I guess I just need to know how I can run this thing as a terminal.
    Todd

4. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

Palmgear lists 3 or 4 VT emulators, here is one that is free: http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...123&prodID=552
    If for some reason the link does not work, just put vt in their search box, that's how I found it. I haven't had need of one of these for a few years, but last time I used one was on a cabletron hub and it worked quite nicely.

5. Todd Hochard

Greg,

Excellent! I didn't even know that site existed. I'm assuming I can just use my HotSync cable to connect? I didn't find anything about it in the ReadMe for the software.

Todd

6. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully you do not have one of the new Palms with USB hotsync. Even then, I believe that you can get serial hotsync cables.

To connect to most equipment with the hot sync cable, you will probably need a null modem adapter.