What's new

Palindromes - Premiere April 29 (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from the premiere of Todd Solondz's latest film "Palindromes."

It was amazing. Honestly, I think it was equal to Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse in terms of storytelling. I loved Storytelling as well, but felt it wasn't his strongest work, still one of my favorites as well. Palindromes is a much stronger film IMHO.

Solondz himself showed up for a second to introduce the film and sped off. He seemed to have somewhere to be. I got him to sign my dvd of Happiness really quick before the movie though. He's very soft-spoken and quirky. All in all I'm excited I went (even though I have massive work due for my film class *oddly enough, Welcome to the Dollhouse is a film I discuss in my research paper...* it was worth it to go tonight.)

I recommend people head out to it. I liked the theme of the film, and don't agree with the negative reponse he's often given by some critics.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

www.palindromes-movie.com

Also, for fans of Welcome to the Dollhouse, the movie is a semi-sequal/spin-off. The lead character of Aviva is Dawn's cousin, and multiple characters from Dollhouse make minor appearances or are at least mentioned. It was a fun little connection.

It opens wider on the 29th. I believe it's only in NY right now, and opens in LA this Friday.

I'll revise this with a larger review this weekend. I'm mega tired...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the report Robert, it is definitely on my radar as a film I want to see. I saw the trailer last night and picked up a lobby card. It opens in Atlanta May 6th.

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I think in the end, we will find that one’s enjoyment of this movie will hinge on how much one buys into / accepts the “gimmick”. I’ve yet to read a review of someone who liked the gimmick yet hated the movie, nor anyone who loved the movie yet hated the gimmick. People who can only manage to accept the gimmick will fall on either side of the fence I suppose, though I’ll bet these folks will be more likely positive than negative to the film overall. Personally, I really liked the movie and accepted but didn’t ”love” the gimmick.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Palindromes has arrived in Waterloo so I got to see it yesterday.
Amazingly, no one walked out! I think I may have gotten a disapproving glance for chortling in the wrong scene. :b
The casting was fascinating, Solondz used Dylan Baker in Happiness and sometime since then I've seen Dylan do another role (was it Kinsey?) where he was playing a...ah...not sexually mainstream role.
To me, Richard Masur will always be identified as the pedophile who menaced Dana Hill in Fallen Angel (1981).
See?? A quarter century later and I haven't forgotten. Why do agents let their clients do these roles?
There were fun homages to other films, a lot of Night of the Hunter, some The Wizard of Oz and a bit of The Usual Suspects.
This is my third Todd Solondz film.
Welcome to the Dollhouse was so chillingly dead on that my wife and I could not stand to be reminded of that time of our lives. Happiness is now in my collection.Palindromes will join it.
Recommended viewing, if you're no too uptight, alright?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw "Palindromes" this weekend. When I walked in to the first matinee on Saturday, I was the first one with 20 minutes to showtime. Thought I was going to get a private screening for a moment there! Ended up with 14 of us in the theatre.

"Happiness" is my favorite Solondz movie (and the guy I saw it with on a first date must have thought I was a strange one) -- while this doesn't come close, it was still quite interesting and certainly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks