PAL vhs compatability

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Karl_Luph, May 9, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I bought a tape off e-bay and didn't realize until I tried playing it on my JVC vcr it was PAL. I tried it in my Panny and it worked great. My question is how different can videotape be? The PAL cassette practically looks identical to my NTSC vhs tapes. The JVC just kicks it back out without even attempting to play it. Is the video quality any better on a PAL unit?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The "tape" is identical - it's what's on the tape that's different. Different encoding scheme, different resolution, different frame rate.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Define "worked great". In my experience PAL video displayed on NTSC equipment (VCRs and TVs) are almost monochrome due to the difference in color system, blurry because of the difference in frame rate and have sound problems. Yes, they will play on some NTSC VCRs because VHS is VHS, but they generally aren't watchable.

Regards,

Joe

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Joseph,

I dont think that statement is entirely true. I convert alot of PAL avi files (DivX, XviD, etc...) to NTSC MPEG 2, and in most cases, I can get fantastic results. It is a long process with many steps, however, and PAL signals cannot be inverse-telecined, so results can vary.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

converting PAL based digital files is a totally seperate animal

6. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Joseph, I got lucky because the tape is in b&w, and it's taken from British films of the 40's so I wasn't expecting it to be that good. I was just thankful to be able to see some historic footage. Thanks alot for everyone's input!