1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

PAL to NTSC blues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have a pretty simple question. I have a Pioneer DVL-909 that has been modified to be region free. But of course, being in the USA, my Toshiba 56H80 television only does NTSC (geez, you think with the way everything is digital these days they could easily give us PAL playback too). The DVD player puts out a PAL signal, obviously the TV can't display it correctly. My question is, what would be the easiest way to watch Region 2 PAL discs through my TV?

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Hey Matt,
    Thanks for the info, I had not heard about this player. But after reading that thread...that solution just doesn't make sense for me. In addition to my region-free Pioneer DVL-909, I also have a Panasonic RP-91. So there is just no way I could justify buying another DVD player.
    I have seen a couple of digital PAL->NTSC convertors out there on the net for about half the price of the Malata. This would be a more attractive solution for me since it would be cheaper and would work on other sources besides my DVD player, but I wonder if the conversion would be as good? Does anybody have any experiences with these convertors?

4. Matt_Stevens

Jason, look no further than yours truly. I have tried them all and the only that didn't reduce DVD to sub VHS quality was the Tenlabs TR-21, which is $790.00. It gave out what I would term a SVHS quality picture. You lose a lot of resolution. I sold it a few months ago.
    This new player really is the very cheapest option out there, I'm afraid. Converters that actually do perfect PAL to NTSC cost over 10 grand.
    I have multi-players, like yourself and put two on eBay. One is already sold via Buy It Now and the other is past my reserve, so they are paying for the Malata (and then some). We gotta do what we gotta do. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Grrr...you are making it harder for me to resist... [​IMG]
    Well, I suppose since the only reason I'm really keeping the DVL-909 currently is for multi-region capabilities and also to play laserdiscs...I could sell it and buy a laserdisc player and a Malata. Judging by the rediculous prices people are paying on Ebay for used 909's ($450-$600) I think I could break even.
    But that leaves me with the question...what is a nice laserdisc player to replace the 909? I have quite a lot of music laserdiscs I watch. Heh, everytime a question is answered, a new question arises! [​IMG]

6. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    I also watch PAL DVD's and am also a laserdisc user (Pioneer CLD-D704). I totally agree with Matt about buying a Malata DVD player - in fact, I ordered one yesterday. I also currently have multiple DVD players, but I am planning on keeping them. It never hurts to have a backup region-free machine in my opinion (the Malata will replace my Apex 600, which will move upstairs). I also totally agree about convertors - I have the Tenlabs TR11 (model previous to Matt's TR21), and even the Apex, while screwing up the aspect ratio for anamorphic PAL DVD's, gives a MUCH sharper picture than running thru a convertor.
    In terms of what to do about LD, I think you should really consider keeping your 909 and just buying a Malata on top of that. Since the used market (eBay, mostly) is about the only way to get an LD player anymore, you really have to take a chance that you will get one that works perfectly with no mechanical problems. At least you currently have a known-quantity LD player that you are happy with. That may not be the case if you get one off eBay.
    In terms of what is a good LD player to buy, it really depends on what your LD needs are. Do you need digital out (for DTS LD's), do you need AC3-RF out (for Dolby Digital LD's), do you need SVideo out (your TV has a not-great comb filter)? If you need all of that, you are looking at (in Pioneers anyway) the 604, 704 or Elite 99. None of those are super-cheap, even on eBay. If you need none of those features, just about any somewhat-recent Pioneer LD player ought to do just fine - at least as well as your 909.
    Hope this helps.
    Scott
    ------------------
    Scott Barnhart
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by Scott Barnhart on July 31, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

7. Matt_Stevens

Jason, I agree with what Scott says (this is turning into the 2nd Presidential debate [​IMG] ).
    Keep your current LD/DVD combo player. Getting a reliable player off of eBay is hit or miss. I lucked into a mint CLD-704 about 2 years ago and it is just outstanding. However, last year a friend of mine paid $400 for one and it died after two months. It's always a risk.
    If you do decide to risk it, go for one of the three Scott listed. They are the best consumer grade players that can be found.
    And check out this site in the next few days for more Malata reviews (including mine). I think this will help you come to the dark side. [​IMG]
    ------------------

8. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I thank both of you again for all of your help and advice. I am definately going to get a Malata as soon as the budget allows. But I really don't think I can justify keeping the DVL-909...I say that because the ONLY thing I will be using it for now is as a LD player. And since I could sell it on Ebay for around $450, that is like paying $450 to keep a very mediocre LD player. Otherwise I could buy a cheaper standalone player and still pay for the Malata and almost break even.
    I was explaining this to Scott, to be honest the only thing I want in a different laserdisc player is video quality that is no worse than the 909 but it would be nice if it were better, a coax digital output, and maybe a dual-sided player. I have a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV, so that should have a nice comb filter.
    I only watch music LDs on my laserdisc player, all of which are encoded in digital stereo. I have no need for AC-3 or DTS output, or any other bells and whistles. It seems like one of the Elite models would be total overkill in this case and I would be paying way to much for stuff I don't need.
    Could anyone suggest a cutoff point (perhaps the earliest year I should consider) or any other models I should consider that would fit my simple needs? Or anyone got one to sell? [​IMG]

9. Matt_Stevens

Hmmm... Duel sided play is a must. Players without are much too old. eBay has a few on there now, but I am not too familiar with the models.
    Make sure you stick with eBay users that all good feedback. That is the best protection.
    ------------------