What's new

Pal/NTSC TV?? (1 Viewer)

Neeraj

Grip
I wasn't sure which forum this should go in so if an administrator finds a better place for this question, please feel free to move it.

My sister-in-law has a multi-function VCR (can play NTSC/PAL) which she has used for the last couple of years without any problems (she has only used it for viewing NTSC recorded tapes). She has a "regular" RCA NTSC TV with which she has used this.

Well, she just got some PAL tapes and was trying to view them (she moved the appropriate switch from NTSC to PAL on her VCR) and the picture seems to be "rolling" but the sound is fine.

Does she also require a PAL TV to view PAL tapes? Since changing the TV is not an option, is there some kind of converter that she can buy for this purpose. If so, where can I find this converter and how much would it cost?

I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, of course she needs a display that can scan at PAL frequencies in order to view a PAL-based VHS tape. There are some displays that can accommodate both NTSC/ATSC and PAL--the Sampo products come to mind. Drawback: The otherwise well-reviewed Sampo TVs use a notch filter instead of a traditional comb filter--a necessary concession in order to scan at both NTSC and PAL frequencies.

Neeraj

Grip
Thanks Jack. As I said in my original post, changing the tv is NOT an option. Are their converters available out there that can do this??

Thanks.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Neeraj,

there are both converters that do that and VCRs that output converted signals. However they run a few hundred dollars. You can run a search on Amazon.com for PAL/NTSC converter.

Neeraj

Grip
Thanks. Don't know if she will be willing to pay this much for these but at least I can give her all the info that I got from you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks