1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PAL/NTSC Region free Panasonic RP91 DVD now available.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Well it's actually the Panasonic DVD-RA671 , and it's progressive scan. Note that I can't read the specs either... they're in Chinese.
    OK, I haven't been able to test this machine, but I have seen it with my own eyes in the store (Jinan, China). It looks exactly the same as my RP91, although it doesn't say it is DVD-RAM compatible. Too bad I'm not in Beijing, because I have Region 1 discs there.
    The sales guy states that it is PAL and NTSC (he thinks) but I dunno if it converts between the two. (No guarantee that it does, since most TVs are both PAL and NTSC here, so there is no need to convert.) It is MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/VCD compatible.
    It does support 192/24 and DVD-Audio. It does DTS and AC-3, and it may support MPEG surround as well, but I can't remember for sure.
    It's supposed to be Region 6, but he claims it is all region. While I didn't have a Region 1 disc to test in it, it seems that several DVD players from name brands come all region straight from the factory... Otherwise they wouldn't be able to compete, since 99% of DVD discs are bootleg around here, and some of those are region locked Region 3 or whatever. (eg. The official party line of the Pioneer DV-5310KD I'm looking at to complement my Panasonic RP91 is region 6 according to Pioneer, but in actual fact is all region.)
    Currently it's selling for 3600 RMB (US$435).
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

2. Eugene Hsieh

I'm kind of surprised that nobody is interested in an all region RP91. Anyways, if you're ever in China, pop into a bigger electronics store. It's always heartening to see 30 different region free machines in the store, with 10 of them being big name brand ones.
    P.S. Did some testing. While the Pioneer 5310KD does both PAL and NTSC it will not convert PAL to NTSC. It will play PAL and NTSC natively, or else convert NTSC to PAL, but not the reverse. I don't think the Panasonic does either, but is still dual format. The LG (Goldstar) ones did convert in either direction.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 02, 2001 at 09:12 AM]

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Well, I think you pretty much answered your own question. Nobody is interested in it since it cannot do PAL->NTSC conversion. For me, that makes it pretty much useless. If it could do conversion though, I would buy it in a heartbeat...to replace my normal RP91 and the Malata I use for region-free PAL playback.

4. Eugene Hsieh

quote: Nobody is interested in it since it cannot do PAL->NTSC conversion.[/quote]Well, maybe for us North Americans, but players like the Skyworth are very popular, and by most measures, the Panasonic is superior. The Skyworth doesn't do PAL-->NTSC conversion either, and some of them have some serious bugs. This web site may be American, but many of the readers are not.
    By the way, it seems in Beijing that few stores carry the Malata (WanLiDa). I dunno why, but I went to about 10 different stores and none of them had it. All claimed that it was an old model and that current machines from other companies were superior. I suspect the reason they said that however is because it's got some bugs, and most people judge everything from the interlaced point of view since they don't use progressive scan. (People tell me it's still available in Beijing though at rare places, and quite common in Shanghai.)
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 02, 2001 at 10:25 AM]