What's new

Pal/Ntsc difference (1 Viewer)

Richy C

Auditioning
I just read a post stating that a pal video of NTSC material is slowed down by 5 frames (NTSC=30 pal=25).
I was just wondering if the material is really slowed down by 5 frames/sec, or if it is actually resampled at 25fps, with the timing the same.
I would imagine that 5 fps would make a subtle (but noticeable) difference, so I would think that it is resampled at 25 fps not slowed down. Am I wrong, or does it vary?
Thanks, Rich :)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If we're talking about theatrical movies transferred to video, PAL actually runs the material 4% faster.
Movies are projected at 24 frames per second. Because NTSC is 30 fps, the material has to be converted to that format or else the speed-up would be very noticable. The process involves creating additional frames, and movies transferred to NTSC run at their correct speed.
When a movie is transferred to PAL video, the 25 fps frame rate is close enough that the film is transferred frame for frame. The one-frame-per-second difference means the movie runs 4% faster.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Richy what Ken has said is correct.
While a lot of people say they cannot hear the 4% speedup of Pal, there are others like myself who can detect the sound difference on a lot, but not every PAL DVD.
You really notice it more on material that you are familiar with. eg.Faster Music speed and the higher pitch of voices.
The sound speedup can be adjusted at the mastering stage, but most Studios can't be bothered.
Some Pal DVDs have had the sound adjusted, but it would be very difficult to find a listing of which ones.
PAL has much better resolution and smoother movement than NTSC and it clearly shows in side by side comparisons.
So the choice is, PAL, better picture, poorer sound or NTSC, poorer (but still quite good) picture, better sound.
I try to balance my choice of NTSC and PAL discs on the overiding importance of Picture or Sound, on each title I buy.
But of course you need to have a proper PAL or Multi Standards TV and DVD Player to see Pal at it's best.
A lot of people who are dabbling into PAL titles in the U.S are doing themselves a disservice by watching them as PAL to NTSC conversions. I shudder to imagine the results.
------------------
[Edited last by Doug Bull on August 12, 2001 at 09:09 PM]
[Edited last by Doug Bull on August 12, 2001 at 09:22 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's not just the sound, PAL throws off the effect of timing, which effects comedy, physics, and so forth. Also, normal PAL sets are very flickery if you are used to NTSC sets.
How all of this affects you is very personal. In my opinion, changing the timing of a film is a form of tampering with artistic intent. Therefore, I am very anti-PAL, and I would never get a PAL version if an NTSC version were available. Some people in the lands of PAL agree with me.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
This is more hardware related, but on the subject of PAL/NTSC. I'm considering purchasing the Malata N996 DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC...can anyone tell me about quality issues with audio/video?
thanks
Jim

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Check out all the reviews over at www.avsforum.com in the DVD Hardware forum. Reviews are all positive, many glowing. I have replaced my Toshiba with the Malata as my main player. The Tosh is now in the bedroom.
PAL looks just like NTSC with the conversion. No artifacts or stretched image like the APEX/SAMP conversion. No artifacts either.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I know that on PAL transfers, I have difficulty understanding British accents because the speedup renders word recognition harder for me. YMMV.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks