What's new

Pairs Skating ... we was robbed (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK enough is enough.

For years now the judging of skating has been heavinly biased towards the East. Tonight just gave me more ammunition.

Russia ... good long routine with 1 flubb.

Canada ... Possibly one of the best routines in years. Commentators(something wrong there)from both the U.S. and Canada were speechless with the result.

Anybody Disagree??

Brent L

After Russia and Canada the talent fell off quickly IMO.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Sorry I'm not a figure skating fan, but I take it you are talking about Solay and Peltiay? If so that totally blows.... especially if the russians fell in their routine (although a couple people at work were saying the Canadians fell right at the end of their act too, is this not right?)

GOOOOO CANADA!!!!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, they definately got bent over a barrel tonight. They kicked ass. The Russian program was mighty boring.

Even the lady commentator said that she was "Embarrased for our sport right now..." If I was on the Russian team, I would offer to trade medals with the Canadians. I mean, they HAVE to know that they didn't deserve to win.

The judges have actually dicked them both over. The Canadians will always know that they should have won the gold and the Russians will always know that they didn't deserve it.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think you could see it in the look of the faces of the russians... they looked like they were in shock at the very least... I think they knew that Sale and Peltier deserved the Gold. I would have LOVED to see them refuse the Golds and give them to the Canadians.

Brian

Everett A

Agent
Had to vent somewhere. I cannot believe that they gave the Russians the pairs figure skating gold.

Sale and Pelletier deserved gold tonight.

Shame.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Refuse the Gold.... Dont think that would ever happen but the Canadians got slapped in the face, then when they were getting up got spit on. What a shame.

KyleS

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
by the way, it's so nice to see a Canadian entry receive so much support, both here online, to that NBC lady reporter that someone elst mentioned, to their mention in the Opening ceremonies on NBC as well. I kinda wish I saw this. Are there any more events they could compete in in SLC?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah!!! Go Brent, Thought the same thing that it would of been nice to see the Canadians win, but since the Russians beat the Canadians on Presentation, who will ever know since that's all subjective. The Canadians kicked butt on the technical merits though and that was as expected from seeing the programs... BTW, the Russian male didn't fall but slipped a little on one of the landings such that he made one rotation to gain his balance back, but he didn't fall.

Did the Canadian pair get penalized from their ending slip in the short program? Is that a "required element"???? I was wondering about that cause I thought the judging on the short program was only on the required elements and if the ending "figure" for lack of a better term isn't required (i.e. they could just stop if they wanted to) then how does that affect the scoring, in presentation?? That would of really sucked if that caused the gold, the snub in the long program, notwithstanding.

Jay

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Having watched both I can't possibly imagine ANY way to justify the Russian pair receiving the gold. I'm as outraged as any Canadian citizen would be and I'm not even a big figure skating fan! The fix was definately on.
Just another reason to despise the French! Commie bastards at heart ;)

Scott_G

Second Unit
If you look at the voting.

"The couple celebrated, too, believing their performance was good enough for gold, but judges from Russia, China, France, Poland and Ukraine decided otherwise. "

Looks like the old group stays together.

The 5.8's for Canada vs 5.9's for Russia in the presentation gave Russia the win.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Yeah that was pretty terrible judging. This is just the warm-up for the ice-dance competition though. Bourne & Kraatz look like they will be getting Silver now since the fix will be in again in that event.

Anyone catch Weatherspoon's face-plant in the 500m? Damn, another shot at gold gone!

MichaelG

Second Unit
I posted something about this exact thing yesterday before the finals in another thread about the Olympics in this forum. [rant]This is why I DON'T like to watch figure skating[/rant] , it is like boxing, corrupt. Well, corrupt may not be the right word. It seems that too many judges score based on reputation and ???? else I don't know. I turned on the TV when the woman announcer said something like... "it's not the Russians fault, but this is an embarassment form my sport". Right then I knew exactly what happened, just as expected. What a shame, it's things like this that simply make the Olympics mean less and less every year.

Does anyone have the scores from each judge? It would be interesting to see if it was one or two that were skewed towards the Russians.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yes, it was surely a bad call by the judges. It is quite amazing when all of the people in the arena, the commentators, and just about every person watching their televisions could clearly see that the Canadians should have taken the gold and the Russians the silver.

That just has to hurt!

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Please give up the conspiracy theories. It's like a bad call by a referee in any other sport. It's part of sports, and sports isn't fair. Tough luck, get over it.

Plus, I'm pretty sure those judges know more about what is required from a good presentation than what any of us ever will know.

/Mike

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I was in such a bad mood last night. I think the main problem that us Canadian's have is not so much just from last night, but decades of being shortchanged by the figure skating judges. (pairs or singles)
I'm a big figure skating fan, and this is truely hard to watch happen year after year.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Did you see the spat between the Russian media and the winning pair? Apparently the interviews afterwards were conducted in English, and the Russian reporters finally got frustrated and said something to the effect of, "do you hate Russia so much that you refuse to speak the language?"

It seems the night was a disaster for all parties involved.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Sale and Pelletier outscored the Russians on technical merit, with three 5.9s while the Russians received none. But in the more important creative marks, the Russians received those seven 5.9 and the Canadians only four, giving the Russian the gold. Sale began sobbing and the crowd jeered loudly when the marks went up.
The American, Canadian, Japanese and German judges scored the Canadians higher. The Russian, Chinese, Polish, Ukrainian and French (the French?) judges scored the Russians higher.
here are the points.
http://www.usatoday.com/saltlake/results/107_883.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks