Pair of Surrounds to go with HTD series III....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Nov 30, 2001.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Hi again. What do you think?
    I'm looking for a decent pair of surround speakers to go with my HomeTheatredirect Series III Towers and center channel. I'm also getting the sony SA40 sub. Price is a concern, and would like to spend my $$ wisely. I was thinking JBL N24, Polk RT15i, or RT 25's. FX300i?
    They will be going on stands, probably the Sanus 24 inch, and placed behind my couch.
    Also, 95% of the time will be for HT watching.
    Thanks,
    Paul[​IMG]

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I hate to state the obvious, but why not get the HTD bookshelves as surrounds?

3. Greg D

Greg D Auditioning

Paul,

Ditto what Jeremy said.

Why not go with a set of the HTD III bookshelf speakers as surrounds? At only $199 for the pair they're well worth it. The cost really wouldn't be much more than what you'd pay for the speakers you mentioned you're considering.

Of course if the Level III's are out of your price range, consider the Level II's at $129 a pair. I haven't heard them so I can't vouch for their quality, but at least you know they'd match tonally with your mains.

4. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

duh, I didn't even think about them. I was only seeing the "total package" which included the Subwoofer.

I will go with the HTD Surounds, and the Sony sub.

Thanks

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You need to go a little higher than 24 inches for surrounds. They should sit 2-3 ft above your ears at sitting level for the best spacious surround sound and should not be direct sound at all.