1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pair of sonotube speakers (not subwoofers!)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndrewScofield, Mar 15, 2005.

1. AndrewScofield

I've worked on a few different speaker projects in the past couple years. I've made a 15" sonosub and a pro sound / PA 18" one. I've made a pair of stereo speakers using the same concept of a sonosub. These are the ones I wanted to show you guys and get some feedback on them.

I didn't take many pictures of my new speakers. But hopefully it will be enough to give you guys a good description.

Photo 1:
    This is the woofer i'm using its an 8" AUDAX HP210G0

Photo 2:
    I'm using the VIFA D27TG-05 1" SILK DOME tweeters for this project.

Photo 3:
    These are the mounts for the woofer inside the sonotube. T-nuts are used to connect the blocks to the sonotube.

Photo 4:
    As you can see it is a sonotube concept design, except the diameter is only 8 inches. The blocks on the inside are used to mount the woofer and using tee-nuts to mount the blocks.

Photo 5:
    Close-up of the blocks used to mount the woofer.

Photo 6:
    A picture of the endcap for the port to go through.

Photo 7:
    A test fit for the tweeter enclosure, AKA 90 degree angle pvc connector.

Photo 8:
    My cool assistant.

Photo 9:
    The right angle after one of the connectors was cut off. I then cut a hole in the sonotube to insert the cut end of the pvc into. I then glued a brace on the inside of the sonotube to hold the pvc nice and tight. Here is what the brace looks like:

Photo 10:
    I had to round it at the top so it would fit snuggly against the top of the sonotube. The whole in the middle fits the pvc perfectly ...but I still applyed a bunch of adhesive, just to make sure the tweeter never moves. After the drying it was solid as a rock.

(Admin note - pics turned into link to help members without high speed connections)

2. AndrewScofield

Here are some pictures of the finished product:

Photo 11:
    As you can see the stands are also custom made. They are a completely different DIY subject. I think they fit the speakers great.

Photo 12:
    A side view of the speakers

Photo 13:
    Front view of the speakers

Photo 14:
    Picutre of the binding posts

Photo 15:
    And a top view

Photo 16:
    This is the active crossover I use on them. They are bi-amped. So I got two stereo amps... one for the tweeters and one for the woofer. And my Pioneer receiver has preamp outs then I connect to my crossover. I then connect high outputs to one amp and the low outputs to the other amp.

Sounds like a cool setup up but the truth is I was to scared to make my own passive crossover to put inside of the speakers. I might try in a month or so to make crossovers, but I really like the way they sound now. But I think they could sound better with a crossover and just one amp.Let me know what ya'll think or if you have any questions.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Nice... they remind me of something by the Mummenschanz. [​IMG]

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

If there was a balls award for DIY speakers, I believe youd be the winner. [​IMG]

Congrats! [​IMG]