Pair of Bookshelf for Front Soundstage (stereo)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonBrasher, Dec 22, 2002.

1. JonBrasher

JonBrasher Auditioning

I am looking for a new stereo. I have about $600 to spend. I am looking at the Onkyo TRS-500 receiver. What i need now is a pair of bookshelf speakers. This setup is just for my room and a stereo setup for right now. I will pick up a sub after i get this. I will use it for HT later. Could you please recommend a pair of bookshelfs in the $200-300 range.

Thanks in advance
    JON

2. Mikey N

Mikey N Auditioning

Jon,

I would look at the Paradigm Titans. In a review I read some time back, they were probably the best value for your money.

Happy Holidays.

Michael

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Are there speakers you have listened to that you like? What type of music do you listen to?

I really like my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s (currently on sale for $300) - great if you like laid back, clean sound.

I've heard great things about the Sound Dynamics RTS-3 which run $200 at Audio Advisor. Of course I've heard this line is discountinued, so it wouldn't be a good choice if you want to expand to HT in the future.

As mentioned, Paradigm is a very popular choice.

Many people in this forum have been very happy with their Dahlquist speakers from the Audioshop. You can get the QX6 for under $300.

The Axiom M3Ti is highly praised and is under $300.

The B&W DM303 is another popular choice at that price.

Wharfdale Diamonds come in $200 and $300 sizes and would be worth checking out.

Of course some of these speakers can probably not be found locally, and you didn't say how you felt about buying without hearing them.

4. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I would add a recommendation for the JBL s38's. I've been auditioning them for about 2 weeks (as well as a few others) and they are wonderful bookshelf speakers...

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Just got two pairs of S.5's from www.athenaspeakers.com (made by API, the makers of the Mirage and Energy speakers brands). A hell of a lot of speaker for $150/pair/shipped from onecall.com!!!!!!!!!!! These babies just won some award from Sound & Vision Mag. I've had Paradigm and PSB. BLAH[​IMG]
    Jim

8. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Since it was only said once I'm going to throw in my vote for the B&W DM303s. I love these things. My experience is somewhat limited, though, as the only thing I can compare them to are Paradigm Titans and Polks. Anyway, they still seem like a great speaker for the money to me. Very clean sound, although they definitely need a subwoofer to help 'em out.

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I vote for Paradigm Titans, or if you can scrap a little over $300 get the Paradigm Mini Monitors.