What's new

Painting (1 Viewer)

I'm currently coming to the end of my project, but I need some advice.

I plan on painting the cabinets. I'm thinking of doing them in silver. What I want to know is how difficult that would be? Would it be way too difficult for an amateur such as my self? Also, how much primer should I put on it? I have to go shopping for paint sometime this week, so I was just curious to what the more experienced people could suggest.

Any general suggestions on painting MDF are welcome.

Thanks

Jeremy

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Just put a couple coats of high quality primer on with a bit extra applied to the end cuts where it absorbs more. Sand down smooth then apply paint. Make sure the primer and paint are compatable with each other.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed how the cut ends are textured different...so now, I just grab a can of Stone Creations... it covers up all my imperfections nicely :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
I have noticed how the cut ends are textured different...so now, I just grab a can of Stone Creations... it covers up all my imperfections nicely
MANY coats of primer and patience :) will also make the cut ends match the smooth slick surface of MDF when painting.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Are you going for a metallic-silver or a polished chrome-silver? Just curious.. I think chrome would look cool... although.. it'd be low on the SAF for me. :b

Either way.. a lot of sand/coat/sand/coat and you should get your desired effect.

I'm thinking metallic-silver. Nothing to shiney ;). I'm gonna pikc up a bunch of primer this week. I was thinking at least tow coats in general and a few more on the edges.

I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with the silver color :)

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Jeremy

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I was thinking the same thing. I was gonna go for a brushed aluminum look. Just the front baffle though.The top and back were to be veneered black. the sides will have corean(sp). The manufactured stone stuff used for counter tops. Its half inch with a small decoritive bevel should look good. It will sit 3/4" from the front baffle and almost flush with the rest of the edges. Front baffle also has 1/2" roundover all edges. 'bout 60% finished. let us know how it works out. Coats of primer and such.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I suggest using a large fine textured roller and using oil based primer for best results. The more coats the better, and use something like 400 grit to sand it before applying the paint on top. Make sure you wash the roller and get all the dust out before using it.

I used an oil based primer on a subwoofer that was accidently left in the rain. The oil kept the moisture out and prevented the box from expanding. :)

The only quirk I have with oil based paints is the smell in which case adding some vanilla extract can help according to a Lowe's commercial

If you do not use a primer, then it is likely the panel edges will expand even if you've sanded it flat and put paint over it. I say 2-4 coats can be good, the more the merrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks