Painting Triad Grills

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Luke_Y, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Looking for some advice on painting the grills and frames on my Triad In-Wall Silver 4 Surround Speakers.

Let me elaborate on my situation- They are installed. Although beautiful, Triad grills are quite delicate (so much so that Triad wont accept returns). In my last house I had a set installed and tried to remove the grills later for painting, resulting in the grills creasing and having to order new ones (they are not cheap so I would like to avoid that this time). The speakers I have now are hand me downs from my brother. When he took them out of his wall he was extremely careful and still bent/creased the grills. I luckily got them for the cost of new grills [​IMG]

So... Have I told you how delicate the grills are and how much I don't want to remove them [​IMG]

Any opinions on how they would turn out if I painted them installed? The frame is no problem but I am worried about the grill. If i used a fairly dry brush do you think it would work out OK? How about a sponge brush?

Looking forward to some input.

2. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I am assuming they are metal, maybe alluminum? Plastic?
    Not fabric covered?
    If so, I wouldn't even waste time with brushing...
    spray 'em. lightly scuff with a scotch brite pad and spray paint them.
    Results will be much more clean, even, and gratifying

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Kevin, Thanks for the input. Yes they are metal.

I've no doubt that spraying would be the best option but am afraid to ruin another set of grills removing them. I wish I still had some of the old bent grills to practice on and see how they would turn out.