Painting the walls for home theater.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RobertC, Dec 5, 2004.

1. RobertC

RobertC Agent

I want to paint my living room.I would like to know
    what color people use for a home theater room.We
    watch are movies in the dark.Hope someone can help me.

Regards
    Robertc

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Robert. I'm going to move your post over to the fourm where people with dedicated HT rooms hang out.

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I painted mine a dark grey, almost black. Looks very good and more importantly minimizes light reflection.

I would have done the ceiling too, but I'm going to be selling my house soon and not everyone wants their basement to be a dungeon.

4. Martin Stepetin

Martin Stepetin Auditioning

gray oh my walls are white would you say thats the worst color for a theater or what do ya think.

5. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

If its in your living room, I'd go with a dark earth tone, like a deeper tan. I have a color called Portabello by SW in my bedroom and which is 2 shades darker then what is in my living room. If I had it to do over again, I would put it in the living room, and leave the more neutral color to the rest fo the house.

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Unless I had a dedicated HT that was used for nothing but movies, I would not paint it any dark color such as black, dark grey, navy, or burgundy--all of which I have seen in HTs. My HT is painted in a camel color, but I also use it as a family room at times.

The best home theater I have ever seen was paneled in a light wood with very nice beige sound proofing here and there. It was stunning.

As long as you can control the ambient light that enteres your HT, I don't think it is important what color you paint it (though some may disagree).

7. Anthony Moth

Anthony Moth Auditioning

f

8. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

You can get what is called a neutral density grey color. Some people recommend this to "help" get the best color from your TV. You can get a color card from Kodak, the number escapes me. but you can try some photo merchant web site.

This is taken from takegratepictures.com
    http://www.takegreatpictures.com/glo...ult.asp?page=G

GRAY CARD

Also known as the “Kodak neutral test card,” a gray card is an 8" X 10" (20 cm by 25.5 cm) card, about 1/8" thick, that is uniformly gray on one side. The gray side reflects precisely 18% of the white light that strikes it (corresponding to the calibration of a reflected-light meter). It is uniformly white on the other side, which reflects 90% of the light.
    See also:

I can't seem to find a merchant that sells this right now.

Something to think about anyhow.

9. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I went with a flat burgandy for my dedicated HT, mainly because I found a 5 gallon bucket of it for $5.00. (I checked the "Oops" bin at Lowe's for months.) While I agree that keeping out ambient light is important, the dark paint helps if you have a projector that creates alot of non-screen light. (Most do.)

Since it is a living room, you probably don't want the bat cave look. Why not consider a dark paint on one wall (your screen wall) and a lighter complimentary color on 2 or 3 other walls.

Are you using a projector or something else?