Painting Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ted*, Jun 19, 2005.

1. ted*

ted* Agent

Hi guys. I just purchased my first HT for my new place and I am extremely excited. I have a question I ordered Ascend Speakers and they come in black (they offer to finish them with another color but at 250$ a speaker). I would like to paint them with the "theme" of my living room which is white (pref pearl white).

I am completely new to this and would like to know if its worth doing so and if it will come out good.
    Here is a link to the speakers:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/
    The 5 speaker set that is shown on their homepage is exactly what I purchased (stands and all..I would like to do the same to the stands).

Any pointers, advice, links?

Thanx in advance.

2. ted*

ted* Agent

To add those speakers are finished with Black MDF.

I am going to go out and purchase spray guns to go with my friend compressor:
    porter cable
    2hp
    135 psi
    6 gallon tank

Any recommendation on the spray gun will be helpful also.
    Also, the type of paint I should buy to get a White (like pearl white) affect.

3. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I'll be surprised if that compressor can keep up to a spray gun.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just make sure they are primed and sanded well before painting. You'll notice the end cuts of the MDF REALLY soak up the primer so they may need several more coats than the rest of the enclosure.

Good luck!

5. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Why did you not order them unfinished if you are going to paint them? The normal black finish will take a lot of prep work to paint over. Also, I concur on the compressor. There is no way a 6 gallon pancake is going to be able to keep up with a spray gun. Assuming you can get a bigger compressor, here is the gun I use.HVLP gun I know Harbor Freight doesn't have the best rep, but this really is a nice gun for the money(Can usually be had for less than $50).

If you don't want to mail order and don't have a HF store near by, Home Depot has Porter Cable HVLP gun for right around $100 that I hear is good.

-Dave

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I just used rustoleum flat on the front and back of my old JBL's, with a roller - looks friggin great.

7. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Before even priming, I would seal the MDF(at least the corners) with a wood sealant. My speaker stands needed a whole can of spray paint, mainly on the corners.