Painting in-wall covers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrianTwig, May 30, 2006.

1. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

I saw a post on here a while back and can not find it.

I am installing in-wall speakers this weekend and need to paint the grills to match. What is and who makes the device that is best suited for painting these grills?

I remember on the post that someplace online sells them for like $25 when you can go to a hardware store and pick them up for about $6.

Thanks!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I just used a foam roller and painting right over my grills in the HT room and the family room. You're going to clog the perforations so have a toothpick on hand to poke them free as you go....or just blow though the screen to clear them out.

3. Steve.Ka

Steve.Ka Auditioning

or you can use a sprayer

4. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

I am looking for a sprayer thingy. While use of a paintbrush or roller is quick and easy, I do worry about the holes getting covered up or shrunk down thus resulting in a loss of sound quality.

I understand there is a sprayer device available that I can just pour a little of my paint in and it will spray it nicely and I won't have to worry about clogging up the holes.

5. TimJC

TimJC Stunt Coordinator

Definitely want to spray the paint on rather than roll it. Rolloing will result in clogging up the grill holes needlessly.

For small jobs like this, hobby shops sell kits with an airbrush attached to a can of compressed air. It works very well.

A couple things to keep in mind:
    - take the grill covers off before painting. To get the grills off, use a small eyeglass screwdriver and work your way around the edges of the grill itself to pry it out of the trim ring.
    - many in-wall speakers have a white cloth behind the grill. Remove this before painting, as you do NOT want paint to get on it, or else you'll severely restrict sound from going through it.
    - you'll probably want to thin the paint with some water so that it goes on with the least amount of intrusion into the grill holes.
    - use 2-3 light coats rather than one heavy coat.
    - when painting the trim rings, with the grills off, use a cardboard template to mask the speaker drivers from errant paint splatter

Depending on how absolutely exact you want the color match to be, try looking at the various spray paint colors and find something close to what you need. It's a whole lot easier and brainless than going the airbrush route, and you'll quite likely find something very close to your target color.

Tim
    [​IMG]

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rolling on paint isn't that bad so long as you remove the backing first and do it in light coats. Blowing though the clogged holes works well if something does get covered up but in my experience it wasn't that big an issue. Obviously if you're going to be painting a color that's readily available in a spray can do that but don't sweat it if not.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Instead of paint to change the color of your grills. I would suggest dying your grills. Actually I would get new white material to replace your grill material and dye them to match your walls. IMHO you will get better results than trying to paint your grills.

8. TimJC

TimJC Stunt Coordinator

The thing is, with in-walls like this, the grills are not made of cloth. They are made of perforated metal. They usually come stock with an off-white powdercoat type finish.

Tim
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i installed some in-walls with metal grill covers as well. i can't remember the name of it, but i purchased the $6 sprayer thing from home depot that everybody talked about. it was a complete piece of shit. i just used a small foam touch up roller and made several light coats. if a hole became clogged, i used the end of a toothpick to get the paint out. good luck.

kevin t