Painting 'Curtains' on Front Wall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary TP, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

Do you guys see any adverse affects of painting 'curtains' on the front wall behind the screen (assuming you paint it dark enough like a deep red being the lightest color in the pallette)?
    My wife is a mural painter and thought it would be a good idea to do something like this:
    Curtains - Lighter
    Only I of course, would make sure it is darker (and flat paint) so it doesn't affect screen picture, light reflecting,etc- something maybe like this:
    Curtains - Darker

Then I was thinking about painting the walls and ceiling in the rest of the room a good theater gray? Any other suggestions? My seating will be black leather berklines...

Is this an ok idea (assuming it looks similar to the pics) or am I overshooting?

2. DaveD'

DaveD' Stunt Coordinator

I think that's a pretty neat idea. As long as it's dark enough I don't see a problem.

3. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

I think it's perfectly fine. Are you going to have a fixed screen? If so, why don't you make it look like the curtains are open and add some black masking around the screen? Otherwise, I think it'll look like your screen is floating in front of the curtains, which might look a little unusual.

4. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

Mike, yeah that's a good idea...I'll consider that...

Any suggestions on wall ceiling colors to complement it? I was thinking a suitable darker gray...

G

5. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Personally, I'm a fan of a red/neutral gray/black combination. At least that's what I've used. I first picked a darker gray (Behr Gray Fox 3A41-4). After I painted part of the wall, I decided it was too dark for my particular room. My HT is in the attic, so I have sloped walls. The dark gray made it too claustrophobic. I decided to go with a lighter gray (Behr Statue Gray 3B44-2) and used the Gray Fox on my trim.

6. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Don't know if they have any Tweeter stores near you, but most of them have a home theater showroom with painted curtains on the front wall. You may want to take a look at that (and play with their lighting).