Painting Bamboo?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnE, Oct 23, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I have an old bamboo bar that my mother gave me in need of a serious restoration. I'm thinking that I'd like to paint it rather than restain it if that's possible. Does anyone know anything about how to paint or stain bamboo? Is there anything special I might need to know. Any special products I should use when painting it?

Thanks.

2. topak

topak Auditioning

painting is not an easy task. but you can be a great artist of your own if you put a twist of artistic appeal and imagination! good luck! [​IMG]

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I have bamboo flooring in my home. I was told that bamboo cannot be stained because of its water-resistance - non-pourous-ness or whatever. Apparently to get the different colors of bamboo flooring they 'toast' it in ovens.

Paint should work, but you had better sand the bamboo first then use primer. If you paint it be prepared - it WILL look painted - not stained. You will not be able to see the texture of the bamboo. Select your colors accordingly. I would stick with earthen colors - for some reason I'm thinking burgundy with black trim...