painting an aluminum case?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have the lian-li pc60 aluminum case, which is terrific. problem is, i really dont like the color, which is silver, and i'm not too keen on any kind of silver electronics, but the case was of such good quality, i had to get it. now that ive had it a couple years, for some reason i am getting the urge to paint it. do you guys think i could do this and have it look decent? what about the paint holding up to scratches? i dont want to do it if it will look terrible, but i would love to change the color of this thing, preferably to black.

CJ

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

painting brushed aluminum to black hmmm. Would you use flat or glossy?

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

4. Jerry_T

Jerry_T Auditioning

Painting aluminum should be no problem as long as you do 2 things beforehand:
    -'Rough-up' the entire surface (fine sandpaper)
    -Apply a quality bare-metal primer after rough-up

Once the primer is applied it shouldn't matter whether you use gloss or flat black. I assume you are going to use spray paint for the job (really the only way to get a good smooth finish). Just do several thin coats of black instead of one heavy. Don't skimp on the quality of the spray paint, one can of primer and one paint shouldn't cost you more than about $8 (even for the good stuff). Remember the finish will not be scratch-proof but should be fairly durable.

5. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    sweet, thanks very much for the replies, i will try it out as soon as i can.

CJ

7. Jerry_T

Jerry_T Auditioning

Be careful with the primer linked to above. First, it does not come in a spray can and brushing or rolling will leave behind marks that will show up in your final finish. You could put it in a paint sprayer but that can get tricky. Second, it is a latex-based paint which will not work well if you use a Rustoleum or Krylon type spray can finish that is oil-based. Some people insist on using an "etching compound" on bare aluminum but I don't think that's necessary on a project like yours. Good luck!