Painting a screen on a wall

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick_y, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Rick_y

Rick_y Auditioning

Hi All

I will be setting up a home theater in the near future. I would like to know what is the best color of paint to use on a wall as a temporary sceen. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Rick

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The most important piece of information needed is what kind of projector will you be getting? Then it would be helpful to know if your room has ambient light.

Just to give you an idea, if your room can be made pitch black and you have a crt projector then I would paint the screen white. If you have some ambient light then forget about using a crt projector. You either have to get an lcd or dlp projector. If one of these digital projectors has a great contrast ratio but is not overly bright (like many but not all dlp projectors) then I would paint the screen white as well to give the image some gain but if the projector is bright but has a lower contrast ratio, then I would use either gray or silver/gray paint to boost the contrast ratio.

3. Rick_y

Rick_y Auditioning

Thanks Neil, very helpfull info

Rick

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Walls usually aren't that great, though, FYI. Usually pretty bumby surface. They'll do fine temprorarily, but getting a very smooth even surface is usually a good idea. A bright white paint is good, matte white of course.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I used a gray colour for my screen/wall. Comet Gray was what it was called. At the time, I sampled a Stewart Screens Silver hawk and a Grayhawk and found little difference between my paint selection. (Money motivated. $15 versus $1500)

I first painted the entire wall gray ... but now I have built a black matte/frame around a 92 " screen size and the rest of the wall has been painted an ink black. Things improved noticably with the black additions.

I'm using an LCD projector.

REgards

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm in a similar situation, but still just considering FP. What would you suggest for a Sanyo Z1 projector w/ 700 ANSI Lumens, 800:1 contrast ratio, outside light 90% eliminated with blinds, and a singly 60W lamp for room lumination during non-movie viewing?

Also, how big of a screen could I have with the projector 7' from the wall? 10' from the wall?

Thanks

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The projection calculator from projector central says that the sanyo can do 72" max at 7 feet and 102" max at 10 feet.

These are 16:9 screen sizes.

Regards

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

quick comment.....I projected the Infocus X1 on my white wall in the basement and then I brought the X1 over to the local Hi Fi store and had them project it on a Da-Lite Matte screen and to my eyes the pics looked the same for the movies I tested.....Most people say a grayish color helps reduce the Screen Door effect with LCD projectors. I will be getting the Z1 tomorrow and I might try out some different grays by GLidden and Behr paints to see what I like best.