Painting a brick house exterior, need tips and a good "urban modern" color!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todbnla, Dec 31, 2005.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Due to Katrina, we are remodeling a 30 year old brick house which we would like to update to modern clean colors both inside and outside. The exterior brick is a shade of red that we are tired of looking at and we want to paint it a nice modern shade of brown, tan, or some sort of grey tone. Think modern, clean look here! We are found of most colors found in most Starbucks around the country. So, my question is, as I am sure some here have painted a brick exterior, give me your tips, thoughts, and ideas on how to make this go well. Also, any color suggestions you may have. One side note, the trim due to the rain gutter color will have to be white, I would like to change it but it is already in place so any color choice will have to go with white.

PLMK-Thanks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR![​IMG]

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Welllll . . . I wouldn't really recommend this, but the people next door painted their bricks a dark green with the trim being white. When they started out, I thought it was going to be a horrible nightmare. It was actually a factor in the across-the-street neighbor's decision to move. But, it turned out looking pretty cool. I don't know if I'd want it myself, but I had never really heard of painting the bricks before and didn't know what to expect.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I'm no construction expert, but I don't think painting exterior brick is recommended. You need to check with some experts about this.

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Todd,
    Like Greg and Jim, my reaction is...ah, wait!
    One of the big pluses of brick and stone is, you don't have to paint.
    As far as basing this around the existing gutter color, would it really be prohibitive to paint the gutter? You could probably mask over and under the gutter and spray it with some Rustoleum type product.
    A new trim/gutter color could compliment the brick and maybe you would learn to love it.
    Try some quart samples to see what might look good. Or drive around some still existing (sorry) parts of town and see what colors you like on other red brick houses.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Preperation is everything! It has to be CLEAN. You should spend more time to prep the surface than it will take to put on the first coat.

Secondly, you need to use a paint made for application to brick - don't be cheap in the quality of paint.

Thirdly, think twice before doing such a thing. It can hurt resale and if step 1 did not work out to well, you will have a royal mess.

Remember, almost everyone today looking for a house is looking for low maintenance.