Paint

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MikeWelsh, Mar 11, 2005.

1. MikeWelsh

MikeWelsh Auditioning

Greetings

I am finishing a 12.5 X 17 foot theater room. I am ready for paint. I have a Panisonic AU700 rear projector with a 90" Dalite diagonal screen. There is one window in the room with total light control. The info I have so far is

1) Dark colors
    2) Flat paint

The questions I have are

1) Is my info so far correct
    2) Is there an advantage to painting the screen wall gray (or any other color)
    3) If #2 is true-- What color

Off the subject-Has anyone had any personal experience with bass traps. positive or negative

thanks
    Mike

2. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    I used a Ralph Lauren Suede paint. the color is a dark brown (not sure if it is a "correct" color, but it looks REALLY nice). The nice thing about the suede paint is that it does not reflect ANY light, which I liked better than a flat wall paint. I think it has a very "rich" look to it, which was the look I wanted for the theater room.

I don't think having a flat grey in the whole room is necessary. Having room lights down on a darker color will still look dark, as your eye won't be able to distinguish color at such a low light level. Plus it just looks less institutional.

3. MikeWelsh

MikeWelsh Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. The suede was a color chip I had picked out as an option. My wife will be happy the room will not look like a psychiatric hospital although she thinks I belong there.

Thanks
    Mike

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    As long as your paint is dark and flat, you should be fine. For the screen wall, darker is better, but I personally don't think it needs to be black. Gray or another dark color should be okay.

5. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I used the Ralph Lauren River Rock Paint in Gray and it has a little rocky texture to it and it looks great and the room looks great during movies.

6. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

In regards to gray, if your theater room is a lighter color or has a white ceiling, most people suggest that you get a high contrast screen to help absorb the reflected light from the walls. A high contrast screen is, guess what, gray. When people talk about painting gray, they are usually talking about painting a do-it-yourself screen with a gray like Misty Evening. This does boost the contrast, but only if you have reflected light. If you are going to be painting the walls with a dark flat color (mine are a deep flat burgundy), then you should just paint your front wall the same as the others. And you shouldn't paint your screen either, that's really only for people who make their own screen (like mine, a DIY 98" blackout cloth framed in black velvet). If your walls are dark, all you accomplish is taking away brightness.

Hope that clears things up.

As far as bass traps, I haven't made any yet, but definitely plan to. I just gave someone else on here a link to Ethan Winer's website, pretty much an expert on the subject. Everything you need to know about bass traps and room treatment.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

7. tony montana

tony montana Auditioning

i was wondering if anybody could halp me.
    i am making a grage in to a home theater. it is 25 by 25.
    the floor war concreat so i used 2 by 8 to raise it up and plywood for floor. after raising groung i have 8 feet to celling. now i have to finish walls but my qustion was what shoul i do so there is no echo in room for the best sound i heard a lot some one told me to texture everything but i dont like the looks of it.a painter told me to screw the dry wall every other stud but that doesnt sound right.
    shoud i just dry wall everthing a not worry room is in squre shape . can i fix this problem with not hole lot of mony?