What's new

Paint Your Wagon & Loving You (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I haven't watched it in awhile, but I remember Marvin's low growl singing voice as at least being on pitch. Eastwood's voice, with harder songs to maneuver, was slightly sharp in my recollection. But what I was excited about was I had found the play script for You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in a book store I shopped in before going to the movie, and I couldn't wait to get home to read it and play the cast recording when the songs came along.

Isn't it funny the things one remembers from something that traumatic!
Marvin's um singing does somewhat match his character. They completely changed Eastwood's character from the character"Julio" in the play. The songs were written for a Tenor but Eastwood is a Baritone and he tries but is way to sharp (and that isn't a good thing) ...
I had a miner role in a college production and for being such a reputed stinker ... It seemed a lot more people knew about a major plot revision in the film
the town collapsing
and kept asking how we were going to to that on stage? I had to explain the film is a LOT different from the play ... :cool:

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Beware of the HD streaming version of PAINT YOUR WAGON on Vudu. It's pan and scan! Didn't find this out until after I bought it.
I asked Vudu for a refund and got it. Thanks to you I checked and found out that the film was offered in P&S although the description stated Widescreen.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
There was a very nice HD presentation of Paint Your Wagon on HDNET movies a while back. Was lucky enough to record it to my DVR. So for as long as the hard drive lasts I'll have a decent copy to watch. Would pick up a blu-ray in a minute if they released one.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Paint your Wagon has appeared on several of Dish's movie channels, I know it was on Reteroplex and I taped it on the DVR external drive, and I have to say the sound and picture were just gorgeous, a first class remaster, if not restoration. That is what is so sad, what this would look like on blu-ray would be just awesome. And the sound also blew me away....beautifully restored, the overture actually sounds like a modern day recording. It's so sad what Paramount is doing with their catalog (or not doing) when it comes to blu-ray. I wish Twilight Time or Kino would buy up a ton of titles. We are seeing a few from Shout! like Prophecy the Monster Movie, and I keep writing Shout to do a Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D. But there are tons of Paramount titles, including some very successful movies, and there is no blu-ray activity. Sad!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This was posted by the Kino Insider over at Blu-ray.com a while ago:

"Paramount will be releasing some of their essentials in 2020"

I can't believe that he (I think it's a he) would have posted that without Paramount clearing it first. Anyway, stay positive, you never know what's around the corner (well, death eventually, but before that, some good things could happen).

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just watched a tolerably HD version of 'Paint Your Wagon' last night and found it very pleasant.
And very nostalgic ...the production and costume designer was a very close friend of mine, John Truscott. He is probably better known today for 'Camelot'.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was just on HDNET. Sound is excellent, picture is a bit soft at times but someone said that's the way it looked at the theatre. It's 154 minutes, IMDB says 164 but maybe that was the roadshow (did it have one?) that had overture, intermission an exit music? Comparing it to the LP record it has all the songs except the Finale which is 6:23.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, it's not the sharpest of films, & some scenes are downright soft. I wonder if it's one of the films that Kino has licensed from Paramount?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Anthony, you are not alone. Many of us at HTF are feeling the exact same way.

As a matter of fact, Paramount's new theme song goes something like this:

"Where am I goin'?
I don't know.
Where am I headin'?
I ain't certain.
All I know is I am on my way."

Good one, Philip. The Paramount catalog release pattern these days is that there is no pattern at all. Kinda slipshod. But, they're putting stuff out here. After that decade-long dry spell a few years ago, I am encouraged that Paramount has at least risen from its collective arse.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
It was just on HDNET. Sound is excellent, picture is a bit soft at times but someone said that's the way it looked at the theatre. It's 154 minutes, IMDB says 164 but maybe that was the roadshow (did it have one?) that had overture, intermission an exit music? Comparing it to the LP record it has all the songs except the Finale which is 6:23.

The DVD has no overture, but does have an entr'acte and exit music (which is part of the Finale on the LP).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks