Paint the Moon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Chatterton, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

Here's a cool site I got off of UserFriendly today. An artist wants millions of people to point their laser pointers at the moon, hoping that it will show up as a large red dot that people can see from Earth. Really cool idea and it's getting a lot of press. Here's the site:
    http://www.paintthemoon.org

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

It's a good idea and would be cool if it works, but it won't work. In order to get your laser pointer to even hit the moon (assuming it's powerful enough) you need to have an aiming accuracy of withing 1/2 a degree. If you don't have an accurate scope attached and calibrated on your laser pointer then you have a very very slim chance of even hitting the moon. To hit it by eye you'd have to see where the laser pointer is even hitting so you can fine tune the error. It's impossible. So instead of getting a bunch of people out on a night to ooooh and aaaaah the cool red dot, you'll get a bunch of dissappointed people thinking, "What a crock!"

A better idea is to have a laser that is computer controlled to draw something on the moon. Similar to the effects in a laser light show. The controllers for the laser would have to be very accurate to get good images and the laser diameter would have to be big enough to see the dot from earth. I suppose it could be done with many lasers on a precision jig. The accuracy of such an attempt would be mind blowing, but possible. And the computer could also track the movement of the moon so it could keep the images dancing all night. Now that would be a costly but cool effect.

3. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the site owner himself has links to several articles saying it won't work. Not only do you have to have good aim, but you'd have to have a Laser Pointer of 50mW or better to be able to make it through the Earth's atmosphere and still have enough energy to bounce off the moon and head back. Standard Laser Pointers are less than 5mW (some are less than 1mW). But it's a neat idea, kinda like the Hands Across America idea was; maybe not easily feasible, but something to get people thinking. People are having parties planned around this.

I think it would be cool if someone designed a laser system that made a permanent red dot (or design) on the moon - visible to the naked eye. Wouldn't that be a great art piece? I wonder how much effort/design/money that would cost...

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hasn't this lazer thing been done before? Chairface Chippendale almost had his name engraved on the moon before he was rudely interrupted until it read like "CHA" with part of the 'A' missing.
    Oh we're talking in real life, not The Tick... my mistake. [​IMG]
    Jay
    You'd also have problems with clouds, better pick a day where everybody is on a cloudless night and hopefully not a new moon.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Sounds like someone wants to one-up the Book of Revelations, turning the moon red like blood. [​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

If a machine could be build to draw images on the moon, think of all the commercial possibilities. You could sell advertising space and turn the moon into a global billboard. I'm sure companies would pay big bucks to put their logo on the moon.

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I have built a large weapon, I call it a "LAZER". This "LAZER" was designed by the famous physicist, Alan Parsons. I am calling it the "Alan Parson's Project!"
    After Austin Powers, I can't say the word "LAZER" without making the little finger quotes! [​IMG]

8. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

9. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint