Paint scratch remover for cars

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Karl_Luph, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I saw a product on a tv show the other day that was sprayed on and wiped off . It was used to fill in and cover small scratches on a car's hood. Didn't actually show how well it covered it though [​IMG] Does anybody have a favorite product they'd suggest to try? I've seen numerous products at the auto parts store(one even had like a pencil thing you rub into the scratch) that claim to do this and remove swirl scratches. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I had some black streaks on a beige car, caused by a metal object falling against it.

I was skeptical about these products but tried Mothers CALIFORNIA GOLD. A bit of rubbing, and the marks were gone. Still looks ok 2 years later.

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

You could always try some auto polish or wax. Works most of the time for me. I like Eagle One wax not the best for deep scratches but it worked for what I needed. You could also try some rubbing compound that is a little rougher then wax on top of that.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

a good product I've used is langka.
    www.langka.com
    one of the few things I've used that worked better than expected. It works exactly as they say.

5. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the tips guys, the Langka product sounds like a pretty good one. I checked an auto parts store near me ,but they don't carry it. Maybe one of those products only available online. Anyone heard of a Maguire's SratchX product or tried it? I know they make some good products too.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have used scratchx on tiny hairline scratches, it works OK for a few hours or days, then it's gone. Not a product I would buy again.

7. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

You could always try silica from the thread below it has unlimited uses. So give it a shot[​IMG]

8. Bob_Bo

Bob_Bo Agent

I've found that most of those miracle polishes don't cut it.

If the blemish is on top the surface of the paint or clear coat, you can try a clay bar (available at auto body supply stores).

If the scratch goes into the paint itself a mild rubbing compound will blend it down. Follow that with a good wax and you should be set.

9. Karl_Luph

was told of another product made by 3M that comes in a black container and is some kind of auto paint cleaner. Supposed to be used by alot of body shops for removing swirl scratchs. Anybody tried this one?