Paint color for the room.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MikeMon, Jun 4, 2005.

1. MikeMon

MikeMon Stunt Coordinator

Im going to do a Mississippi mud screen to start me off but I was wondering what is the best to paint the walls? I had picked out a dark polo color and I have not decided yet if it would work or not. Also can I leave the ceiling white or should it be the same color as the walls or an off white or Gray.... Any help would be great.

Mike

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Considering only performance, you want the flattest blackest paint possible, especially on the floor/ceiling/walls nearest the screen. Usually there will be some compromise between an ugly cave, and a white room (which sucks for ANSI CR), a dark flat paint is a nice choice, burgandies etc etc etc still look good and will be pretty darn close to a black in terms of cutting down reflections and such. I find ceilings, especially if they are low, to be the most distracting, I'd go for the darkest there, even a black fabric, cause you can usually see the actual reflections there as its closer than the sidewalls. Distracting!

3. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I'm painting right now and we are using these Behr colors (all flat) from Home Depot

ceiling and projector wall - Evening Hush (deep gray, almost black)

Top 1/2 of wall - Cinnimon Cherry (deep red - should come out almost like dried blood)

Bottom 1/2 of wall - Soulful Music (like a midnight blue - very dark)

Carpet is Sizzle (deep red with some purple in it)

Chairs are ocean from La-Z-Boy - lighter blue than walls

Hope this helps - remember get all paint flat and flat only

4. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Bryce, I was able to look up all of the paint colors on Behr's website. Nice color choices, and are something similar to what I was considering for my theater (currently beige and beige). I was trying to find the La-Z-Boy fabric color on their site, but they list it as fabric number, but not color. Do you happen to have that number?

5. Bryce_H

Chris,
    The fabric color is the Ocean (G815284) in the Matinee collection. We are getting 2 rows of the configuration with a love seat recliners in the middle and then 1 single recliner on each end.

6. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I don't agree that black, black & black is the best way to go. I do agree that dark is better though. My walls actually have reds, orange & yellow in them and my ceiling is a sprayed on gold lacquer. I have no problem with reflections on the walls and the ceiling has some minor reflectivity but the eyes are not drawn to it. After all, with a large screen showing an amazing image in front of your eyes, the last place you are going to look at is your ceiling!

Your space can be both functional and beautiful!

David

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I don't disagree, which is why I understand that a totally black room is aesthetically undesireable. Still, if you are dealing with pure performance considerations, the best room is one completely covered in black velvet. This maximizes the room's, and thus the system's, ANSI contrast.

I feel that for most folks, dark colors will achieve a much better aesthetics than this, while still achieving a good ANSI capability that won't be noticeably different from all black, though may be measureably so.
    It's not just seeing reflections and such on the wall, it's how that effects the ANSI contrast of the image which is at stake. In any case, avoid bright and white glossy colors at all costs or you will end up with terrible ANSI contrast.

8. MikeMon

any pics of rooms already painted in the light so I can see what the colors look like?

Mike

9. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Bryce, thanks for the info. I was able to look up that color, and confirmed that it closely matches the color of the LaZBoy couches that we will eventually move downstairs (C851186 Midnight). I wish I could afford real theater loungers, but the couches have low backs, and are very comfortable. They just don't fit to my wife's liking in the room they are currently in. Cost is also a factor.

Thanks to you guys, I might be able to talk my wife into going with darker colors on our walls as well now that's she's seen what works. Anything will be better than the white it currently is. When I find the right colors, I'll post them up here.

10. FredBI

FredBI Auditioning

I chose a dark blue paint for my home cinema room...
    Fred

11. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    If your into earth tone colors, we went with a wall color from Sherwin Williams called "Connected Gray" which is also in our home, its not really gray at all but more of an intense greenish-gray, of course we are found of all shades of green.

12. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

13. MikeMon

Bryce_H what about trim in the room are you going to paint it another color?

14. Bryce_H

The chair rail, baseboard molding, crown molding, and doors are going to be a light biege color. At least that is the plan now.

I have pictures, but nowhere to host them so I can link to them here. Sorry.

15. MikeMon

16. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

I also went with a dark blue color on the walls. I'm still debating on the soffit ceiling color. Maybe black. I think my pics are still up. Just click my homepage.

17. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

There was no way I could convince my wife to let me paint the celing anything but white. She kept saying "you dont want to paint the ceiling" and no matter how many times I told her I did she just didn't belive me.. which was her way of saying I am not going to paint the ceiling. So I did what I thought was the next best thing. I recessed the screen 1.5 feet. The recess is 6 inches larger then the screen on all four sides. The recessed area will be painted flat black. It should help a lot with contrast with out painting the ceiling.